Sunny
84°
Sunny
Hi 88° | Lo 65°
Capital Beat

Shaheen, Ayotte express sadness on death of New Jersey Sen. Frank Lautenberg

Both of New Hampshire’s senators expressed their condolences this morning on the death of U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg, the New Jersey Democrat.

Lautenberg, 89, was the last World War II veteran serving in the Senate. He was elected to five terms and announced earlier this year he wouldn’t seek re-election in 2014.

“Sen. Lautenberg lived an incredible life of public service dedicated to making life better for the people of his state and of our country. In serving our county both on the battlefield and in the U.S. Senate, he brought a leadership and vision that will be sorely missed and never forgotten,” said U.S. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, a Democrat, in a statement. “My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.”

Shaheen also tweeted that he “lived an incredible life dedicated to his state and his country.”

U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte, a Republican, said on Twitter that her thoughts and prayers were with Lautenberg’s family, and she expressed gratitude for his military and government service.

“From his time in the Army to his work in the Senate, Sen. Lautenberg will be remembered for his many years of dedicated service to our nation. He truly represented the best of the ‘Greatest Generation,’ and I am especially saddened that Sen. Lautenberg’s passing marks the loss of the Senate’s last World War II veteran,” Ayotte added in a statement. “My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time.”

(Ben Leubsdorf can be reached at 369-3307 or bleubsdorf@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @BenLeubsdorf.)

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.