Clear
57°
Clear
Hi 84° | Lo 62°
N.H. News Roundup

N.H. News Roundup: Happy Father’s Day! Granite State ski resorts bounce back

It’s Father’s Day weekend everyone!

Which can mean only one thing: Pops gets some love from his (soon-to-be-if-not-already) favorite son in today’s post.

There’s almost too much to say about JMD – which he’s affectionately called and how he signs ALL of his text messages.

His voice might be the only thing on this planet that’s able to console me AND scare the bejeezus out of me.

He’s sacrificed so much for me and my brothers. He was constantly working. He is constantly working. All to make sure everybody around him has a better life for it.

But he still made time for us. He was the coach of a countless number of my soccer teams growing up, and he tried to make all my basketball games, too – even though he didn’t grow up with (or understand the nuances of) the game in Argentina, where he was born and raised. We all sat down together for our meals.

Dad is the king the grill. If you try to tell me that your dad can do something better with a piece of meat, I’ll laugh in your face, and I might even be mean about it.

His passion for technology is the reason I’m doing this job today.

He’s the most caring, driven, selfless person I know, and I’m positive that I’m not the only person who feels that way. My mom landed a catch. And I got lucky.

The photos above tell the entire story. At my college graduation we took two official photos together. The first was all business. The second – well, it sure wasn’t business.

So Pops, even though you’ve since ditched your iconic mustache (but not the iconic accent), I have one thing to say to you:

Thanks for being my hero.

In other Father’s Day news

∎ The Rochester Summer Music Series at The Governor’s Inn kicks off on Sunday.

∎ Is your dad more about activities than gifts? Here’s a few local ideas.

 The 10th Annual Skip Matthews Memorial Run is Sunday in Lebanon.

∎ Show dad you care through his belly and stop by the Rock’n Rib Fest in Merrimack.

∎ Here’s a list of even more things going on this weekend.

In even more news

∎ Ski resorts in the Granite State had quite the bounce-back year, hosting more than 2.5 million skiers, snowboarders and snowtubers than last year.

 N.H. CEO’s at public firms have seen their pay increase by 64 percent since 2008.

∎ In case you haven’t heard, people are already looking to the Granite State for insight into the 2016 elections.

∎ Here’s a Q&A with Billy Shaheen, an attorney and political activist (and Sen. Jeanne Shaheen’s husband).

 Pelham is hosting a bike safety event tomorrow.

∎ Here’s a look into NHL Draft prospect and former UNH defenseman Brett Pesce.

∎ More than 20 teams competed Thursday at the New Hampshire 48 Hour Film Project.

(Have ideas for the roundup? Reach web editor Kevin Deane at 369-3302 or email him at kdeane@cmonitor.com. Follow him on Twitter, @CM_KDeane.)

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.