L/rain
47°
L/rain
Hi 50° | Lo 44°

Belichick quotes: Monday conference call highlights

He usually doesn’t disclose much when speaking to the media, but here are some of the more interesting quotes from Bill Belichick during his Monday conference call.

Opening statement

BB: We’ve turned the page here onto Tampa. Really, talk about a team that’s two plays away from being 2-0, that’s Tampa. They’ve been really close the last two weeks and have come up short but a couple plays that just turn out a little differently, wouldn’t have taken much, we’d be looking at a 2-0 team.

Q: How would you characterize Tampa defensively? It looks like a 4-3 I think, but how would you characterize their style?

BB: Very aggressive. They have a good mixture of pressure, coverage, movement up front, they’re very fast and athletic, whichever 11 players they have on the field, they play based on your personnel – 4-3, nickel, dime. They’re very fast and explosive, no matter who they have on the field. I think they make you think every time the ball is snapped, whether or not you’ve got them blocked and what kind of stunts and different pressures they’re capable of running. I think it’s a team that’s really hard to just walk up to the line and snap the ball and feel comfortable ... Obviously, tough to run against. They led the league in run defense last year, not only in yards but negative plays and creating long yardage situations and all that. It looks like they’re right on track for that this year.

Q: We’ve seen Chandler Jones move inside to the defensive tackle spot in the first two games. Beyond his physical attributes, what makes him a good fit there and how has he done there?

BB: I think anytime you move those defensive ends inside, they obviously are a little bit smaller physically but the quickness and the length they have over most traditional defensive tackles can cause those inside guys – guards and centers – some problems in protection just because they’re not used to seeing that type of player inside. I think it’s a tradeoff. Chandler has all those attributes: he’s long, he’s very athletic and he’s not nearly as big as our defensive tackles so that’s kind of the tradeoff.

Q: Is it optimistic that Rob Gronkowski will play on Sunday?

BB: We’ll take everybody day-to-day here.

Q: Is Danny Amendola more week-to-week than day-to-day at this point?

BB: I’d say really all of our players are day-to-day other than obviously (Shane) Vereen. I know the rest of them we’ll just take it day-to-day.

Q: How much does the mini-break help the team in terms of opening the season with the stretch of two games in five days and hit the reset button and look at this as a refresh for the players?

BB: We’ve had two tough games and the two games have come down to the last possession. As a team, we have a lot of guys that have some bumps and bruises and some soreness and all that so it gives us a couple extra days to get through that. Last week was really a week that we weren’t able to practice, it was really more walkthroughs and film and preparation and that kind of thing. I think that it kind of as a staff gives us a little bit of extra time to figure out where we are, what things we need to work on, need a little bit more work on, some situations that maybe haven’t come up in the first couple games that we need to refresh and the ones that have, we’ve talked about and hopefully learned from and been able to make progress on those going forward.

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.