Hi 17° | Lo -8°
The Insiders

The Insiders: This event is on fire (safety)

We all love food, and you would be lying if you said otherwise. It’s the first thing we think about in the morning, and eating is, coincidentally, the last thing we do before going to bed.

And most of us love cooking. There is nothing better than a home-cooked meal. But do you know what to do when your deep fryer catches on fire or grandma’s famous pot roast goes up in flames?

That’s where the good people at the Concord Central Fire Station (150 N. State St.) can help. As part of Fire Prevention Week, your local firefighters will teach you all you need to know to stay safe in the kitchen – and other rooms, presumably – at today’s First Safety Open House from 1 to 4 p.m. They will be demonstrate how to safely escape a smoked filled room, as well as show videos and lead activities that someday may save your life. And did we mention there will be free pizza? That could also someday save your life.

Sparky, the fire safety mascot that we imagine as a mix between Smokey the Bear and a dalmatian dressed in a fire-resistant suit, will also be on hand to interact with local children.

Also tonight is the Voices of the (603) concert at 7 p.m. at the Capitol Center for the Arts. A mix of talented middle and high school students from the Granite State will be on hand to entertain those who pay $10 at the door. They won’t be doing the entertaining at the door, though, at least as far as we know.

(Email the Insiders at

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.