M/cloudy
49°
M/cloudy
Hi 67° | Lo 41°

Michael DelloIacono turns focus to Ward 4

• Michael DelloIacono <br/><br/>(ANDREA MORALES / Monitor staff)

Michael DelloIacono

(ANDREA MORALES / Monitor staff)

Michael DelloIacono

(ANDREA MORALES / Monitor staff)

Michael DelloIacono thinks Concord can do more to attract business and development.

DelloIacono, now finishing his first four-year term as an at-large city councilor, is running for a seat representing Ward 4. He first registered to run for his current seat, but changed his mind after Ward 4 Councilor Amanda Grady Sexton chose to run for an at-large seat. He is in a three-way race against newcomers Byron Champlin and Kevin Bloom.

To attract more business to the city, DelloIacono told the Monitor, he would like to see a city staff member spend more time specifically on marketing and public relations.

“The main focus would be for economic development as far as businesses, manufacturing companies, big businesses, small businesses to relocate or open in Concord,” he said.

The 38-year-old works in digital marketing for Concord Litho and purchased a home on Church Street at the end of August. He said he was ready to immerse himself in work as a ward councilor.

“I get to know people a little bit better at that level, and that’s one of the driving factors,” he said. “I’m up for that.”

Public relations will also become important to support downtown businesses during the upcoming redesign of Main Street, DelloIacono said.

“I think that we need to do a good job promoting that downtown is open for business,” he said, noting that the public relations firm hired by the city will need to partner with business owners.

DelloIacono supports the plan to reduce traffic from four to two lanes with a crossable median, widen sidewalks, improve accessibility and add landscaping and public art. The new streetscape will require a different perspective on downtown parking, he said, because residents now prefer to park directly in front of their destination.

“I honestly don’t think there’s a parking problem in downtown,” he said, adding that he spent time talking with residents and business owners before voting for plans that include parallel parking along one side of Main Street.

DelloIacono said he had concerns about the state building a new women’s prison in Concord, and he would like to see the state do more to help the city address issues surrounding homelessness. He said Storrs Street would be a good, central location for a soup kitchen or homeless shelter.

Asked what sets him apart from the other Ward 4 candidates, DelloIacono said he knows Champlin because they both serve on the Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce Creative Concord Committee. But DelloIacono stressed that he was also concerned with other issues in the city.

“I want my kids to have a good future in Concord, and I’m for businesses,” he said. “I do like Creative Concord, I think that’s a good part of our economic development, but that’s just one piece. . . . And what differentiates me is that if you call me, I’m going to listen.”

He also said he stood behind his vote to accept a federal grant to purchase a BearCat vehicle, which motivated his opponent Bloom to run for the council.

“It wasn’t a personal vote,” he said. “I listened to a lot of constituents. . . . It was split. . . . Actually, it was a little more tilted for it.”

DelloIacono said his greatest priority was keeping a balanced budget.

(Laura McCrystal can be reached at 369-3312 or lmccrystal@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @lmccrystal.)

Related

Meet the Ward 4 city council candidates

Monday, November 4, 2013

There is a three-way race in Concord’s Ward 4 this fall. Kevin Bloom, Byron Champlin and current At-Large Councilor Michael DelloIacono are running for the city council seat. Current Ward 4 Councilor Amanda Grady Sexton is running for a citywide council seat. … 0

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.