Cloudy
53°
Cloudy
Hi 66° | Lo 42°
Capital Beat

Bass says he won’t challenge Shaheen for Senate seat in 2014

Charlie Bass; Friday, October 19, 2012.<br/><br/>(ALEXANDER COHN / Monitor file)

Charlie Bass; Friday, October 19, 2012.

(ALEXANDER COHN / Monitor file)

Former congressman Charlie Bass will not run against Democratic U.S. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen in 2014, he announced this morning.

“Though I am confident that a strong Republican nominee will defeat Democrat Jeanne Shaheen next year, my current personal and professional responsibilities preclude my candidacy,” Bass said in a statement. “I sincerely thank all who have called, emailed or encouraged me in person to run.”

Bass, a Peterborough Republican who served seven terms in the U.S. House, added that the “decision does not mean that I am retiring from politics” and that he “will always work to support the principles of smaller government, less spending, lower taxes, free enterprise to create good jobs and a strong economy.”

GOP leaders urged Bass to run after state Senate Majority Leader Jeb Bradley announced two months ago that he wouldn’t challenge Shaheen.

Bass’s decision means former state senator Jim Rubens and conservative activist Karen Testerman are the only two major Republican candidates in the race. Former Massachusetts senator Scott Brown has hinted at a possible run, but has made no definite statements one way or the other.

For full coverage, see tomorrow’s Monitor.

(Ben Leubsdorf can be reached at 369-3307 or bleubsdorf@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @BenLeubsdorf.)

Legacy Comments4

How about Scott Brown, he is sort of, kinda a NH resident. He has a vacation home in Rye. That qualifies him for representing the voters of NH, right. Remember it's really all about party affiliation after all.

Clinton was a Carpetbagger from the south who simply bought a house in NY and was anointed senator

Yeah, Charlie is a nice guy but the GOP needs to put up a candidate that will put up a winning fight against the dirty politics that Jeanne Shaheen will dish out because Shaheen certainly doesn't have a good record to run on.

Looks like Jim Rubens of Enfield will tower over Shaheen. Time to get behind and support the next US Senator from NH

Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.