Man charged with beating cat to death

Last modified: 8/9/2012 12:00:00 AM

A Boscawen man charged with beating his sister's cat to death in her Concord apartment left a note on the animal that read ''I'm dead,'' the police said in a court filing.

Joshua Waters, 24, was arrested Tuesday on a felony charge of animal cruelty alleging he beat a house cat May 26 and caused it to suffer trauma to the head. According to a police affidavit, Waters said he found the cat dead when he returned that night to his sister's East Side Drive apartment.

He said he dragged the cat by its tail toward the apartment's front door - he didn't want his room to smell, he told the police - and put the note on its head, according to the affidavit.

A necropsy found that the cat's cause of death was unknown, but that bruising along its head and within its mouth indicated trauma to the head, according to the affidavit.

''It's a concern to us any time we see this, because that type of alleged behavior is a little disturbing,'' said Concord police Lt. Timothy O'Malley.

The police went to the apartment May 27 after Waters's mother reported he called shortly after midnight and told her his sister's cat was dead, according to the affidavit.

Waters, his mother told the police, said he was angry that night and wanted to run over a friend of his sister's who threw a beer at his car when he dropped her off in Hopkinton. She said her son told her he ''could have beat the s--- out of all them in Hopkinton but I was the bigger person and came home and (the sister's) cat is dead instead,'' according to the affidavit.

Waters's sister told the police that her brother, who had been living in the apartment for several weeks, was angry whenever her cat came in his room and had repeatedly threatened to kill it.

That night, he sent her text messages telling her the cat was dead, according to the affidavit. She shared the messages with the police: ''good news I made it home safe, bad news your cat is dead idk what happened but shes dead,'' reads one message described in the affidavit.

Waters's sister told the police she had last seen her cat alive at 10:15 p.m. May 26, an hour and a half before she said Waters began sending the text messages. The cat had no medical conditions, the sister told the police, and the necropsy found nothing abnormal but the apparent head trauma, according to the affidavit.

Waters told the police his sister was ''being a little b---- last night,'' describing how a bottle had been thrown at his car, according to the affidavit. He also told the police he passed out that night after drinking a quarter of a gallon bottle of rum, the affidavit said.

Waters's grandmother, Rebecca Gauthier, said yesterday she believes Waters is innocent.

''He's telling me he didn't do it,'' said Gauthier, whose grandson lived with her for about a year in Boscawen. ''He's not a violent person. Hotheaded, maybe, but not violent.''

O'Malley said Waters was held at the Merrimack County jail on $1,000 cash bail the night of his arrest. He was released on $5,000 personal recognizance bail yesterday following an arraignment in Concord's district court.

(Maddie Hanna can be reached at 369-3321 or'

Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301


© 2020 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy