Delivery van catches fire on Mountain Road in Concord

Last modified: 3/25/2014 11:29:08 PM
A cargo van delivering oxygen tanks caught fire yesterday afternoon just outside a rental home at 56 Mountain Road. No injuries were reported.

The owner of the home, Bill Jewell, who lives next door, said the van was delivering the tanks to his tenant’s mother and it caught fire about 4:30 p.m. It’s unclear how many tanks were in the van. Jewell said he and his wife, who were home at the time, heard no explosion but saw heavy flames. Jewell said firefighters reported that the driver was not injured in the incident.

It’s unclear what started the fire. Several fire trucks responded to the scene, blocking off the road for roughly half an hour. Jewell, a 70-year-old former firefighter, said it took them five to 10 minutes to extinguish the blaze.

The van remained in the driveway at 5 p.m., by then little more than a charred frame. The home did not appear to have been seriously damaged by the fire, Jewell said.

(Jeremy Blackman can be reached at 369-3319, or on Twitter @JBlackmanCM.)


Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Concord Monitor, recently named the best paper of its size in New England.

Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301


© 2021 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy