Concord’s Black Ice hockey tournament canceled for 2021 due to COVID

  • With stick in hand, Pete Mellen of The Silver Seven, takes a break outside the rink as his team takes on Scared Hitless during the first day of the 1883 Black Ice Pond Hockey Championship. The three-day hockey tournament kicked off with an opening ceremony at the pond in White Park on Friday morning, Jan. 28, 2011.(John Tully/ Monitor Staff) John Tully

  • An overall view of the Black Ice Pond Hockey tournament at White Park on Saturday, January 26, 2019.

Published: 12/21/2020 3:42:22 PM

The crowds of players and fans all rubbing shoulders in White Park is part of the charm of the Black Ice Pond Hockey Tournament. It’s also the reason the tournament had to be canceled for 2021.

“We figured it was not going to be realistic that we could follow all the protocols and keep everyone socially distant with some 700 hockey players,” said Chris Brown, the tournament’s organizer. “It’s tough to plan it all and then have to pull the plug, so I think the best decision we could make at this point is to just push it off and look at it again for January of 2022.”

Brown is all too familiar with the Black Ice being halted in the middle. Warm weather has led to cancellations, or the tournament finishing inside at the Everett Ice Arena, for eight of the of the event’s 10 years.

“We kind of joked about it last year when we had to pull the plug halfway through the tournament. It was Mother Nature 8, Black Ice 2. That’s how much its affected the tournament over the last 10 years, unfortunately,” Brown said. “And you probably bet that this January we’ll have the best winter weather for potential skating and the ice conditions will just be superb.”

School cases

Two eleventh-grade students in the Concord Regional Technical Center have tested positive for COVID-19, interim Superintendent Kathleen Murphy announced. One of the student was in school last on Dec. 5; the other was in school last on Dec. 14. the cases in a message to the school community Friday. In addition, a second grade student at Mill Brook School who was last in thbe building on Dec. 3 has also tested positive for the disease.

At Merrimack Valley High School, two adult employees have tested positive for COVID-19, in unrelated cases, Superintendent Mark MacLean announced. At Merrimack Valley Middle School, one student and one adult employee have tested positive.

In Hopkinton, three elementary school students and two middle-high school students have tested positive for COVID-19. In addition, two staff members have tested positive, Superintendent Steve Chamberlin said.

A student at Franklin Middle School tested positive for COVID-19 this weekend, Superintendent Dan LeGallo announced. The student has been out of school the past two weeks.

There are two new cases of COVID-19 at Belmont High School and one new case at Belmont Middle School, according to the Shaker Regional School District’s online COVID dashboard, which was updated on Friday.




Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301
603-224-5301

 

© 2020 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy