Granite State Stories: Canobie Lake Park opens its doors

  • This crayon drawing of Canobie Lake Park in Salem, created by Armand H. Szainer (1914–1998) of Manchester, made sometime between 1970 and 1990, captures the whimsy of summer days spent at the amusement park, the Granite State’s oldest. N.H. Historical Society

Published: 6/19/2018 5:18:27 PM

Located in Salem, Canobie Lake Park has been a summer destination for more than 100 years.

It was built as a trolley park, one of hundreds constructed in the late 19th and early 20th century in the United States as the last stop of a trolley line, offering passengers a series of amusements as an incentive to ride the line. Canobie Lake’s trolley line was the Hudson, Pelham & Salem (HP&S) Railways, which also paid for the construction of the amusement park; the HP&S merged with several other small trolley lines to become the Massachusetts Northeast Street Railway Company in 1912.

Most of America’s trolley parks have long since closed their doors, but a few, such as Canobie Lake and Coney Island, remain.

Although the park’s rides have changed much over the past 100 years, the antique carousel dates back to the park’s 1902 founding.

The popular wooden Yankee Cannonball roller coaster, built in 1936, was recently named a national Roller Coaster Landmark.

N.H. Historical Society




Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301
603-224-5301

 

© 2020 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy