Electrical fire tears through roof of Canterbury home

Monitor staff
Published: 9/15/2020 10:54:37 AM

An electrical fire caused significant damage to a single-family home Monday evening in Canterbury.

Firefighters responded to 16 Layton Drive at about 9:45 p.m., and en route learned from Canterbury police that there was heavy smoke showing from the attic, Deputy Fire Chief Nicholas Baker said in an interview Tuesday.

Concord firefighters were the first on scene, and they concentrated their efforts on the second floor of the two-story home where the fire likely started, Baker said.

“It grew rapidly, and we had fire showing from the roof,” he said. “Due to the lack of rain and drought conditions in the state right now, we requested a third-alarm.”

Within minutes of requesting that additional mutual aid to the scene, Baker said, the blaze was declared under control.

The fire caused extensive damage to the home’s second floor and burned through a large section of the roof, Baker said. He said it’s unclear at this time whether a new roof can be built on the existing structure.

“We conducted extensive salvage operations to try to protect the single female occupant’s belongings and she was very appreciative of that,” Baker said.

The woman reported that she was downstairs when she began to smell smoke from upstairs. On the second floor, she witnessed smoke and sparks coming from her bathroom fan, which was on as she had just taken a shower, Baker said.

The woman and her dog were able to evacuate the home safely. No firefighters were injured during the call.

Canterbury fire was assisted by crews from Boscawen, Bow, Concord, Franklin, Loudon and Tilton/Northfield. Penacook Fire and Rescue was on standby and Belmont firefighters covered the Canterbury station.


Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Concord Monitor, recently named the best paper of its size in New England.

Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301


© 2020 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy