Concord man facing drunk driving charge remains in critical condition after crash

Monitor staff
Published: 6/17/2019 4:02:28 PM

A Concord man accused of driving drunk in a rollover crash in the city last week remains in critical condition at the hospital, police said Monday.

Steven Maxfield, 24, faces a charge of aggravated driving while intoxicated in connection with the single-vehicle crash on June 12 at the intersection of Hazen Drive and East Side Drive, Concord police Lt. Sean Ford said. Maxfield was arrested the following night in his hospital bed.

Police responded to the area at about 6:03 p.m. for a report of a car crash with entrapment. Firefighters had to use the Jaws of Life to extricate both Maxfield and a female passenger, who is also a resident of Concord.

The woman suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries and was treated at Concord Hospital, Ford said.

Maxfield was admitted to the hospital after the crash. His medical condition has prevented him from being able to talk to police.

Several witnesses reported that a white Chrysler was driving south on East Side Drive at “a very high rate of speed” just prior to the crash, according to the police report. The vehicle rolled over several times, striking a traffic control sign, a fence and a utility pole.

Ford said alcohol and speed played a role in causing the crash, which remains under investigation.

If his condition improves, Maxfield is scheduled to appear June 27 in Merrimack County Superior Court in Concord.

(Alyssa Dandrea can be reached at 369-3319 or at adandrea@cmonitor.com.)


Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301
603-224-5301

 

© 2019 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy