Help us fund local COVID-19 reporting in our community

Woman indicted for fentanyl sales stemming from 2017 fatal overdose in Concord

  • Desiree Kenyon —Courtesy

Monitor staff
Published: 7/12/2019 1:45:30 PM

The state attorney general’s office has charged a Concord woman accused of selling fentanyl to a local dealer who then shared the drug with a man who fatally overdosed that same day.

Desiree Kenyon, 24, was recently indicted in Merrimack County Superior Court on a felony count of acts prohibited. Prosecutors say she sold fentanyl to Spencer Grayson on or about July 25, 2017, in Concord while out of jail on bail conditions in an unrelated drug case in Pembroke. That day and into the early-morning hours of July 26, Grayson was with Ryan Smith, whose life ended in a wooded area behind Cumberland Farms on North Main Street after he shot up and never regained consciousness.

The lengthy police investigation revealed that Smith had agreed to watch Grayson’s back and be his bodyguard and, in exchange, Grayson promised Smith methamphetamine at a cut-rate price.

The new charge against Kenyon was handed up by a grand jury on June 28, just one day after Grayson was sentenced on drug charges stemming from that fatal summer day two years ago. Although Grayson took responsibility for giving fentanyl to Ryan just moments before the overdose, he avoided a more serious charge that accused him of selling Ryan the fatal dose. That charge, called death resulting, was taken off the table as part of a plea agreement reached with the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office.

Grayson had been scheduled to stand trial on the death resulting case this past January. However, the trial was postponed and then later replaced by a plea hearing after new cellphone evidence surfaced, according to court records.

Prosecutors did not disclose at Grayson’s April plea hearing or at his sentencing specifically why the death resulting charge, which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison, was dropped. Spencer was ultimately sentenced to 8½ to 20 years in state prison on lesser charges. Assistant Attorney General Nicole Maria told the court last month that she believes the sentence is appropriate given Grayson’s cooperation and issues they encountered with potential witnesses.

While the case against Grayson moved forward, Kenyon had been incarcerated at the Merrimack County jail following her March arrest in Pembroke. However, records show she was released in May after the required cash bail was posted on her behalf.

Police say they found Kenyon in possession of methamphetamine on March 5 when executing a search warrant and several arrest warrants at a residence on Buck Street where she’d been staying. At the time of her arrest, Kenyon was on probation. She was convicted in May 2018 of possessing fentanyl in Concord in summer 2017 and sentenced to one year in jail with eight months suspended for five years on conditions of good behavior.

Probation officers told to the court that Kenyon had repeatedly failed to report to them in the months after her sentencing. A violation of probation charge was later filed.

Kenyon is scheduled to be arraigned on July 22 on the new acts prohibited charge stemming from the case involving Grayson.

(Alyssa Dandrea can be reached at 369-3319 or at

Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301


© 2019 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy