Sex offender arrested after Concord police respond to reported disturbance and kidnapping

  • Jerry Roberts of Concord —Courtesy

Monitor staff
Published: 7/16/2019 5:28:08 PM

A convicted sex offender arrested Monday night for failing to report to authorities will remain in custody as police continue to investigate a disturbance and possible kidnapping at a Concord apartment complex.

Police have released few details about the incident that unfolded Monday night inside the apartment complex at 81 Fisherville Road, where registered sex offender Jerry Roberts Jr. resides. Concord police Lt. Sean Ford said additional charges against Roberts are likely and that police expect to release more information in the coming days.

“We are still investigating other incidents that may have occurred leading up to his arrest,” Ford said in an interview.

A man reported to police that he’d been beaten inside his apartment Monday but was later able to escape through a second-floor window, Ford said. The man was taken to Concord Hospital and later released.

Officers ultimately forced their way into the man’s apartment shortly after receiving the disturbance call at 5:30 p.m. Once inside, they found Roberts and a juvenile, police said.

Roberts, 35, was held overnight at the county jail pending his arraignment in Merrimack County Superior Court in Concord on the felony duty to report charge. In court Tuesday afternoon, Roberts chose to waive the hearing and did not contest a county prosecutor’s recommendation that a judge set bail at $2,500 cash.

Assistant Merrimack County Attorney Ashlie Hooper said in an interview that Roberts was also wanted for violating his parole. She said a warrant for his arrest was issued this past January. Because of the violation, he will likely be transferred to the custody of the state prison. 

According to the state’s sex offender registry, Roberts was paroled in September 2018.

His criminal record in the state is extensive and includes convictions in Belknap County in 2008 for aggravated felonious sexual assault of a child under the age of 16, in addition to sexual assault in 2004 in Rockingham County. In the past fifteen years, he has also been convicted of domestic violence, stalking, reckless conduct, witness tampering, second-degree assault, simple assault, possession of a controlled drug and violating his parole.

This is also not the first time authorities say Roberts has failed to report as a registered sex offender. He was previously convicted of the crime in Grafton County in June 2017.

The disturbance call Monday required an extensive police response, with officers remaining on scene into the early-morning hours. Detectives continued to conduct interviews Tuesday and gather evidence.

“There is no reason to believe there is any greater danger to the public at this time,” Ford said. “Given the information we know right now, we believe that the incident was contained to that apartment and among those people. We hope to share more in the near future.”


Jobs



Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Concord Monitor, recently named the best paper of its size in New England.


Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301
603-224-5301

 

© 2019 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy