Officials: 3-story Franklin apartment building unlivable after fire from groceries on stove

  • No one was injured in a fire at building at 325 Central St. in Franklin. Courtesy of Jonathan Gray

  • Firefighters congregate at 325 Central St. in Franklin after a fire was reported Monday night. —Courtesy of Jonathan Gray

  • Firefighters gather at 325 Central St. in Franklin after a fire was reported at the apartment building on Monday night. Courtesy of Jonathan Gray

Monitor staff
Published: 8/7/2018 10:57:59 AM

Franklin fire Chief Kevin LaChapelle didn’t have to go far when he got a call about a fire on Central Street on Monday night.

LaChapelle was attending a city council meeting across the street when he walked out and saw the three-story wood-framed apartment building with fire inside.

“I walked out, and there it was,” LaChapelle said. “We called crews in and got to work right away.”

Crews worked for about two hours to extinguish the flames at 325 Central St., which LaChapelle said was likely caused by groceries placed on a stovetop. The resident of the apartment was not home at the time, but five other people who lived in the building were safely evacuated. No one was injured.

LaChapelle said the fire was contained to the stovetop and wall of the apartment, but damage from smoke and broken doors left the building uninhabitable. The displaced residents are either staying with friends and family or seeking help from the American Red Cross, he said.

Franklin police closed down Central Street so fire crews could access the building. The Tilton-Northfield, Sanbornton and Belmont fire departments assisted in quelling the flames, LaChapelle said.

The Franklin City Council meeting went on as planned.

(Leah Willingham can be reached at 369-3322, or on Twitter @LeahMWillingham.)

Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301


© 2019 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy