Police: Adults – found after overdose with child in back seat – possessed meth

  • Andrew Mitza Courtesy—Concord police

Monitor staff
Published: 3/5/2018 11:02:37 PM

Two people found unconscious in a car in the Concord Walmart parking lot Saturday with a 4-year-old in the backseat had overdosed on what appeared to be crystal meth, police said Monday.

Police found 7 grams of crystal meth in the front seat of a silver minivan, where Andrew Mitza and Rhonda Thibeault, both 28, had been lying unconscious, Concord police Lt. Sean Ford said.

Police also found a “sizable amount” of meth in the back seat packaged in small plastic bags for distribution, Ford said.

Mitza, of Laconia, was arrested on charges of possession of a controlled drug with intent to distribute, for resisting arrest and endangering a child.

Thibeault, the 4-year-old’s mother, was not charged with a crime. She was previously arrested in November for sale of a controlled drug and does not have custody of her son.

Police said the child was returned to Thibeault’s mother, who has custody.

Police were alerted to the situation when a 911 caller said she saw two people in the Walmart parking lot who appeared to have overdosed in a minivan with a child in the back seat.

When police came to the scene, they attempted to speak with Thibeault, who was “partially awake,” according to court records. They then asked her if Mitza, who was sitting next to her, with sunglasses on and a hood over his head, was all right.

Thibeault said the two were fine and were napping, according to court documents. Concord police Officer Joseph Russell wrote in an arrest report that Thibeault’s explanation seemed strange, since the pair were in a Walmart parking lot during the day with a child awake in the back seat.

“She then reached over and shook (Mitza’s) leg and said, ‘wake up’ in an attempt to get him to come to,” Russell wrote.

Mitza was stirred awake but seemed groggy, according to court records. He refused to take off his sunglasses or roll down his passenger window so members of the Concord fire department could perform a medical evaluation on him.

Mitza also refused to give police any personal information. At one point he gave officers a false name, saying his name was Joseph, according to reports.

Russell was able to determine that the man in the car was Mitza, who he said has a history of drug use and domestic violence.

Russell told Mitza he knew his identity and that he had a felony arrest warrant, according to court records.

Mitza reportedly moved throughout the vehicle to avoid apprehension, while the 4-year-old was still in the car. He attempted to get to the front of the car and reached for the ignition, police said. Thibeault moved to the back seat of the car to shield her son, police said.

Police eventually used a Taser on Mitza to stop him from driving away and arrested him, records show.

The child was returned to Thibeault’s mother, who had been working at Market Basket at the time and did not know he was missing, police said.

Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301


© 2021 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy