Concord man accused in overdose death indicted on other drug charges

  • Spencer Grayson —Courtesy

Monitor staff
Wednesday, January 31, 2018

A Concord man accused of providing a lethal dose of drugs to another man this past summer has been indicted on unrelated drug charges.

Spencer Grayson, 21, faces two counts of acts prohibited for allegedly selling methamphetamine to an undercover Concord police officer on two occasions in September. He faces an additional count of the same charge for a similar drug deal that involved fentanyl, according indictments handed up Friday by a Merrimack County grand jury.

Prosecutors allege Grayson continued to deal months after selling to 30-year-old Ryan Smith, who fatally overdosed on July 26. That morning, Grayson and Smith had shot up in a wooded area behind Cumberland Farms on North Main Street in Concord; both men lost consciousness, but Smith could not be revived, according to an affidavit prepared by Detective Brian Womersley

The state medical examiner concluded that Smith died of acute intoxication by fentanyl and methamphetamine.

Grayson faces charges of acts prohibited for selling Smith the drugs that took his life. As of Tuesday, a grand jury had not handed up indictments in that portion of the case.

Days before his death, Smith had agreed to watch Grayson’s back and, in exchange, Grayson agreed to sell Smith methamphetamine at a cut-rate price, the affidavit says.

Police reviewed social media posts, cellphone records and interviewed Grayson as part of the investigation. When pressed about the source of the drugs that killed Smith, Grayson replied “he did not want to ‘rat’ out his dealers,” according to the affadavit.

“Grayson said he did not want to be a ‘rat’ and felt that the overdose was solely Ryan’s own fault,” Womersley writes.

Grayson went on to tell police he did not believe a dealer should be held accountable for a buyer’s overdose, and that he was not willing to help police identify the drug source, the affidavit says.

Grayson’s arrest is part of a statewide push by the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office to hold dealers accountable in overdose deaths. The case is the second of its kind to be prosecuted in the Capital City.