Help us fund local COVID-19 reporting in our community

22-year-old shot by police in Concord has extensive criminal history

  • Dylan Stahley —Courtesy

Monitor staff
Published: 4/6/2020 3:37:05 PM

An armed 22-year-old shot and wounded by police in Concord early Sunday was illegally in possession of a firearm after having been convicted this past October of felony reckless conduct, authorities allege.

Court documents show that Dylan Stahley had previously fired a handgun in his apartment on North Spring Street and accidently shot himself in the foot, which required his hospitalization. At that time, Stahley was awaiting trial for felony sexual assault and his bail conditions had prohibited him from having a firearm then too.

According to a police affidavit, Stahley said he needed the gun because he had been accused of sexual assault and “random people were threatening his life as a result.”

In recent years, Stahley, who was most recently a resident of Hillsborough, has had multiple run-ins with law enforcement in New Hampshire. Court records cite a history of substance abuse and mental illness.

The New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office is now investigating the circumstances leading up to Stahley’s latest interaction with police in Concord this past weekend. Stahley suffered non-life-threatening injuries when he was shot by police during a confrontation on Sunday at about 12:15 a.m., according to Attorney General Gordon MacDonald.

Concord officers initially responded to a burglar alarm at the new skate house at White Park on Saturday at 11:19 p.m. While on scene, they received a report of a man – later identified as Stahley – on the nearby ball field with a gun.

Just after midnight, Concord police and New Hampshire State Police found Stahley, “who appeared to be armed,” the release said.

The attorney general has not said how many times Stahley was shot. Identifying information about the officer or officers involved is also being withheld pending the formal interview process, MacDonald said.

The Concord Police Department has since charged Stahley with burglary, reckless conduct and being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm. Stahley was scheduled to be arraigned Monday afternoon in Merrimack County Superior Court, but the hearing was postponed because he remains hospitalized. Records show that Stahley refused the services of a bail commissioner.

At the time of his arrest Sunday, Stahley was on probation in the felony reckless conduct case, which was resolved through a plea agreement this past October. He was sentenced to 1½ to three years in state prison, all suspended for five years. The prison sentence was suspended on the condition that he not commit any new offenses.

Several weeks before the resolution of that case, a Concord probate court judge had granted a request for Stahley’s involuntary admission to New Hampshire Hospital, the state’s psychiatric facility. As part of his sentence for reckless conduct, he was ordered to comply with the terms of his conditional discharge from the state hospital, as well as undergo substance abuse and psychosexual evaluations.

Stahley had also faced a charge of aggravated felonious sexual assault, alleging he had raped a teenager in 2017 during a camping trip with friends at the Concord quarry, which is not far from Blossom Hill Cemetery and the state’s two prisons. However, the felony charge was ultimately dismissed as part of a plea deal. Stahley pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of simple assault for having “unprivileged physical contact” with the girl who was 16 years old at the time. He was ordered to serve 90 days at the county jail and the remainder of his one-year sentence was suspended on conditions of good behavior.

Concord police allege in court records that alcohol was a contributing factor in several prior criminal cases brought against Stahley, and that the reckless conduct and sexual assault cases were no exception. They also cite a history of mental illness and specifically refer to an incident in October 2018 when Stahley threatened suicide at a parking garage downtown.

Epsom police arrested and charged Stahley earlier that year with driving while intoxicated, reckless conduct and reckless operation after he crashed his vehicle in the town. After pleading guilty to DWI, Stahley was fined $620 and his license revoked for one year. A judge also ordered an ignition interlock device installed on any car Stahley drove for up to two years.

Stahley’s criminal record dates back to 2016 and also includes prior arrests for prowling, criminal trespass and driving after suspension.




Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301
603-224-5301

 

© 2019 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy