Hiker groups call for help after missing last train down Mount Washington

  • Mount Washington is seen in the distance in a 2007 file photo.

  • The Mount Washington auto road is pictured above tree line.

Monitor staff
Published: 5/1/2017 11:52:45 AM

Two groups of hikers on Saturday called for help within 15 minutes of each other after hiking to the top of Mount Washington with plans of taking the Cog Railway back down, only to discover the last train of the day had already left.

The first call came in at 6:45 p.m. when Dyxie Lopez, 22, of Providence, R.I., reported she was too fatigued to continue hiking. Lopez and her hiking companions, Jonathan Garcia 27, also of Providence and Daniel Corominas, 27, of Seekonk, Mass., waited at the summit as Fish and Game officers drove up the auto road to bring them back down.

On the nearby Boot Spur trail, another group of eight hikers equipped with shorts, jeans and cotton T-shirts called 911 about 7 p.m. to report they were lost and needed assistance. They too had planned to take the Cog Railway down and were forced to hike without proper equipment, like flashlights and headlamps, using only the light from a cellphone, according to reports.

After the call, the group met with another group of hikers who began to lead them to safety.

However, the group failed to call authorities and update them, and a rescue team was launched. The rescue team proceeded to bump into the group of hikers 20 minutes up the trail.

Fish and Game officials said Willimantic, Conn., residents Dominic Rivera, 20; Elijah Sanchez, 20; Joseph Santiago Lopez, 19; Caleb Pehowdy, 21; Julian Andiarena, 21; Cory Shea, 21; and Kevin Lynch, 19, and Andrew Stutts, 19, of Manchester, Conn., all made it out safely – exhausted, wet and cold.

Without the assistance of the other hikers due to the group’s lack of preparation, they could have faced serious medical consequences, and may be charged the cost of their rescue, Fish and Game officials said.

The Cog Railway had just open for operation this weekend and the last train of the day departed at 1:30 p.m.

(Material from the Associated Press was used in this report.)

Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301


© 2019 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy