Update: Police say Concord dad tackled, punched stranger who crept into daughter’s bedroom 

  • Miles Anderson, 28, of Concord is accused of breaking into a city residence and assaulting a child. He was arrested on Feb. 19, 2018. Courtesy

Monitor staff
Wednesday, February 21, 2018

A Concord father tackled and punched a man who broke into a home early Monday morning and molested a 13-year-old while she slept, police said.

The father then restrained stranger Miles Anderson on his home’s porch until police arrived shortly after 4 a.m., according to reports.

Anderson, 28, who is homeless, faced a judge Tuesday afternoon in Merrimack County Superior Court for the first time since his arrest. He is being held on $100,000 cash-only bail on felony counts of burglary and felonious sexual assault, as well as misdemeanor counts of indecent exposure and sexual assault.

Police responded to a home in the area of Washington and Jackson streets Monday morning for a report of a man found in a teenager’s bedroom. The suspect, whom police later identified as Anderson, was not known to the girl or either of her parents, police said.

The teen told police she was awakened by a man seated in a chair in her room. She recalled that the man stood up and dropped his pants before approaching her bed, where he then knelt and attempted to lie down, according to an affidavit prepared by Concord police Detective Bryan Croft.

The man’s hand touched the teen’s right leg and then her buttocks before she was able to kick him away, the affidavit says. With the light on her iPad, the teen was able to shine a light on the man, whom she told to “stop touching her and get out,” Croft wrote. The girl then ran to her parents’ bedroom for help.

The father proceeded to search for the man, whom he found standing on a porch located between an exterior door to the residence and a door to the living room, Croft wrote. The father told police “he tackled the man, punched him and held him on the porch” while yelling for someone else to call 911.

When police arrived, the two men were still on the porch. Anderson was immediately taken into custody.

While under arrest, police said, Anderson uttered incomplete thoughts about what had happened. At one point, he said, “I did not burglarize. I went into the front porch to get away from people chasing me. ... I sat in the chair, I began to pray, took off my shoes and shirt. ... I was sitting next to the person and that is it.”

Anderson later acknowledged taking off his pants and touching the girl’s hip to get her attention, according to the affidavit.

In court Tuesday afternoon, public defender Jennifer Uhouse raised concern about Anderson’s mental competency to stand trial on the charges and said her written motion would be forthcoming.

“I do believe mental health possibly played a role in this incident,” she told Judge Richard McNamara.

Anderson has a criminal history that includes convictions for drug possession and criminal trespass. He is also a participant in the county’s mental health court, and in the past month was admitted to New Hampshire Hospital, said Assistant Merrimack County Attorney Ashlie Hooper. Anderson tested positive on Feb. 14 for a number of drugs including methamphetamine, marijuana, and fentanyl.

“The state can’t imagine anyone who is more of a danger to the community than Mr. Anderson,” Hooper said while asking that bail be set at $100,000 cash-only.

Uhouse did not object to Hooper’s bail request, but asked whether the court would reduce bail to personal recognizance if Anderson is accepted back at the state hospital. She noted that if discharged from the hospital, Anderson would return to the jail and not be released into the community.

McNamara said he could not order Anderson’s release for mental health treatment without knowing whether there are proper security measures in place at the hospital. He encouraged Uhouse to file a motion to amend bail once more information is obtained.

(Alyssa Dandrea can be reached at 369-3319, adandrea@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @_ADandrea.)