Police foot chase in Franklin ends with suspect bitten by K-9 in stranger’s shed

  • Engelhardt

  • Beaulieu

Monitor staff
Saturday, May 21, 2016

A Concord man led Franklin police on a foot chase Thursday that ended with him hiding in a shed and being bitten by a police dog, officials said.

Christopher Engelhardt was wanted for a probation violation because he hadn’t been making his required check-ins, Franklin police Sgt. Dan Poirier said.

With the help of U.S. marshals, he was tracked to the area of East Bow Street in Franklin about 11 a.m. Thursday, Poirier said.

Poirier said the marshals were involved because of an ongoing felony investigation that has not yet resulted in charges.

Engelhardt and a woman believed to be his girlfriend, Arianna Beaulieu of Concord, who was wanted on a warrant from Allenstown police for theft of a firearm, fled on foot before police arrived, prompting a search.

Poirier said officers spotted Engelhardt in the area of Winnipesaukee Street a half-hour later and they “jumped out of the car and took off running.”

Engelhardt ran down about four side streets and then ducked into a shed in someone’s yard, the sergeant said. All the while, a private citizen in a pickup truck was following along and helping direct the police in their pursuit, Poirier said.

As the police tracked Engelhardt into the shed, he wasn’t complying with orders, the sergeant said, and “was making movements into the shed,” which prompted officer Dennis Rector, the K-9 handler, to release K-9 Max.

“The dog wouldn’t have been released if (Engelhardt) would have complied with the orders to put his hands in the air,” Poirier said.

Max bit Engelhardt, causing minor injuries that were treated at the hospital.

Engelhardt was charged with resisting arrest for not complying with officers’ orders and criminal trespass for ducking into a stranger’s shed, the sergeant said, as well as the violation of probation.

He was held at the Merrimack County jail after his arraignment Friday on $2,000 bail stemming from the Franklin charges. He wasn’t eligible for bail on the probation violation charge, Poirier said.

Beaulieu was arrested without incident later that day, about 3:30 p.m., after she was spotted walking on Depot Street, police said. In her booking photo, she is seen to have a wound on her neck that Poirier said happened while she was running through the woods earlier that day.

She was transferred into the custody of Allenstown police for their warrant.

Allenstown police didn’t immediately return a phone call Friday.

Poirier said Engelhardt is scheduled for a status hearing June 13 at 1 p.m.

(Nick Reid can be reached at 369-3325, nreid@cmonitor.com or on Twitter at @NickBReid.)