Online discussion Friday morning about the future of the gasholder building

Monitor staff
Published: 11/19/2020 12:59:14 PM
Modified: 11/19/2020 12:59:04 PM

The second online discussion about the future of Concord’s gasholder building will be held Friday morning, but it won’t be the last one.

The Ad-hoc City Gasholder committee meeting, set for 9 a.m. on Nov. 20, will feature updates to a report on redevelopment options for the iconic building. It will not, however, discuss a of ADG’s report as previously indicated.

“We are awaiting additional engineering and other analyses that are not yet complete. The property’s owner, Liberty Utilities, understands this modification to our project’s schedule, and the committee anticipates reviewing ADG’s findings next month,” said a press release from the New Hampshire Preservation Alliance.

Liberty Utilities has said safety concerns around the decaying building means it will apply for a demolition permit at the end of the year if no method is found to repair it.

The round brick building on South Main Street was built to hold flammable gas made from coal, before natural gas pipelines came to Concord. It is apparently the only one left in the country that still contains all its inner workings but is in bad shape. It will take hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars to preserve it.

Friday’s online session via Zoom is open to all, ID 891 4604 7969. To listen by telephone call (877) 853-5257.




Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301
603-224-5301

 

© 2020 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy