×

Driver in crash that killed Concord 20-year-old pleads not guilty 



Monitor staff
Thursday, November 08, 2018

A driver involved in a crash that killed a 20-year-old Concord man pleaded not guilty to charges of negligent homicide Thursday.

Joseph Leonard Jr., 36, of Derry, waived his right to a bail hearing after being charged with three alternative counts of negligent homicide for the death of Tyler Shaw on Oct. 30.

While out on bail, Leonard will not be permitted to consume drugs or alcohol, carry weapons of any kind or have contact with Shaw’s family.

Leonard will be monitored by the county’s pretrial services program until his next hearing in open court. The monitoring includes random drug tests, a curfew and GPS tracking.

Shaw was killed April 30, after a crash on Logging Hill Road in Bow where Leonard allegedly failed to stop at a stop sign at the end of the Interstate 89 Exit 1 off-ramp.

The Merrimack County Attorney’s Office has said Leonard was traveling at excessive speeds and was intoxicated when he hit Shaw. Leonard’s blood alcohol content on that night exceeded the legal limit of 0.08 percent, prosecutors said.

The maximum sentence for negligent homicide in New Hampshire is 15 years. Leonard is being represented by Donald Blaszka Jr., a criminal defense lawyer from Derry who focuses primarily on motor vehicle matters and DUI cases, according to his website.

Shaw was working for a construction company in Bow when he died, and had plans to move out to Montana this year to pursue his HVAC license. He was a 2015 graduate of Concord High School.

In the six months since he died, Shaw’s friends and family have been open about their wish for someone to be held accountable for his death.

Within the last month, a yellow sign with red lettering reading, “JUSTICE FOR TSHAW – WHEN WILL IT HAPPEN???” was placed on Logging Hill Road.