Woman living out of her car loses possessions in fire outside State House

  • A car caught fire Tuesday on Capitol Street in Concord after being sparked by a cooking device. The vehicle was fully engulfed in flames when fire crews first arrived and was extinguished in about 20 minutes.  Courtesy of Mike and Pat Morrell

Monitor staff
Published: 7/5/2022 3:01:28 PM

A woman living out of her car lost everything when her vehicle went up in flames in front of the State House in Concord on Tuesday.

Around 11:15 a.m. Concord fire crews were called to a report of a car on fire on Capitol Street, directly outside the State House complex.

The woman living in the car was using a cooking device to heat up water, which sparked the fire. Bystanders removed her from the vehicle and no one was injured, according to Concord fire officials.

While the fire provided a dramatic scene in downtown Concord just before the lunch hour, it was a fairly routine exercise for the city’s fire department. 

“Just a run-of-the-mill car fire,” said Concord Fire Battalion Chief Jeff Stone. “Unfortunate though that a homeless person lost all of her belongings.”

Stone said the gas tank began to leak, which continued to fuel the fire. Firefighters doused the vehicle – a Kia Soul – with water and foam to extinguish the flames.

The combination of the gas leak, the woman’s belongings and burning plastic and fiberglass from the vehicle made it a pesky fire to put out. 

Stone said it was fully extinguished in about 20 minutes.

“We made pretty quick work of it,” Stone said.

Emergency crews connected the woman who was living in the vehicle with assistance to find a place to stay and replace some of her belongings.




Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301
603-224-5301

 

© 2021 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy