Flammable liquid spread fire from a garage to a house in Webster

  • Firefighters from Concord, Boscawen, Hopkinton, Warner, Salisbury and Henniker responded to 439 Deer Meadow Road, Webster, and got a garage fire under control in about an hour early Friday morning. Photos courtesy of Jay Heath

  • Firefighter from Concord, Boscawen, Hopkinton, Warner, Salisbury and Henniker responded to 439 Deer Meadow Road, Webster, and got a garage fire under control in about an hour early Friday morning. —Courtesy of Jay Heath

  • Firefighter from Concord, Boscawen, Hopkinton, Warner, Salisbury and Henniker responded to 439 Deer Meadow Road, Webster, and got a garage fire under control in about an hour early Friday morning. —Courtesy of Jay Heath

  • Firefighter from Concord, Boscawen, Hopkinton, Warner, Salisbury and Henniker responded to 439 Deer Meadow Road, Webster, and got a garage fire under control in about an hour early Friday morning. —Courtesy of Jay Heath

  • Firefighter from Concord, Boscawen, Hopkinton, Warner, Salisbury and Henniker responded to 439 Deer Meadow Road, Webster, and got a garage fire under control in about an hour early Friday morning. —Courtesy of Jay Heath

  • The fire began in the garage, which was detached from the main house and had a truck parked in it.

  • Firefighter from Concord, Boscawen, Hopkinton, Warner, Salisbury and Henniker responded to 439 Deer Meadow Road, Webster, and got a garage fire under control in about an hour early Friday morning. —Courtesy of Jay Heath

Monitor staff
Published: 10/30/2020 10:15:38 AM

Leaking gasoline stored in a garage caused concern on Oct. 23 before firefighters extinguished an early-morning fire at a home in Webster.

Concord fire Chief Guy Newbery said six departments responded to Deer Meadow Road just after 1:30 a.m., adding that the two people who lived in the home – Nicholas Ebbs and Erika Rivet – escaped and suffered no injuries.

Rivet said she and Ebbs carried their two cats outside to safety, but heavy smoke prevented them from grabbing their two pet birds, who lived in a cage near the back of the house. Rivet said a firefighter rescued the birds, carrying the cage outside.

The fire began in the garage, which was detached from the main house and had a truck parked in it. Newbery said the job was made more difficult because a container of what he called flammable liquid melted, allowing four to five gallons of gasoline to spill onto the floor and ignite.

The gasoline spread while burning, seeking the lowest point it could find, just like water, and seeping under the home, which was propped up off the ground and had no basement.

“There were some challenges with the liquid flowing and expanding onto the house,” Newbery said, “and water is usually not a good agent to extinguish flammable liquid.”

Instead, firefighters used a combination of foam and a drying agent to fight the flames, which took about an hour to bring under control.

“It worked really well,” Newbery said.

The fire was reported under control by 2:33 a.m.

The truck inside the garage was damaged. The fire remains under investigation. “No cause determined as of yet,” Newbery said via text message.

Mutual aid from Concord, Boscawen, Hopkinton, Warner, Salisbury and Henniker responded. 

 Ebbs and Rivet bought the p roperty in July, according to town assessing records. 




Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301
603-224-5301

 

© 2020 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy