Man who once lived with murder victim accused of firing gun during disturbance in Warner

  • Douglas Smith —Courtesy

Monitor staff
Published: 9/9/2019 1:21:46 PM

A man accused of firing a handgun at a moving vehicle as part of a disturbance in Warner last month has been arrested.

Douglas C. Smith, 30, was charged with felony counts of reckless conduct with a firearm and being a felon in possession of a dangerous weapon. He also faces misdemeanor counts of criminal mischief, criminal threatening, receiving stolen property and resisting arrest. 

Police responded to Parade Ground Cemetery Road on Aug. 18 for a report of a disturbance with shots fired. Through their investigation, police identified Smith as the suspect and issued warrants for his arrest.

Police said Smith was aware of the warrants but attempted to evade police from Aug. 27 to Sept. 5. Ultimately, local police and the U.S. Marshal's Office were able to convince Smith to voluntarily surrender on Sept. 5. He was taken into custody without incident that afternoon.

Smith was held without bail pending his arraignment Sept. 6 in Merrimack County Superior Court in Concord. That day, a judge ordered Smith held for lack of $10,000 cash bail at the county jail in Boscawen.

In addition to the U.S. Marshal's Office, Warner police were assisted by New Hampshire State Police, as well as officers from Hopkinton and New London.

Smith, who previously lived in Grafton, has an extensive criminal record and is a registered sex offender. He was convicted of felonious sexual assault in 2009, according to state records, and has also been convicted of criminal threatening, burglary and assault, the Valley News reported

When Smith and his wife, Ashley, were tenants of a home in Main Street in Grafton in 2018, they shared the living quarters with Trish Haynes, a 26-year-old New Hampshire woman who was last seen alive in late June or July last summer. Her body was found in a washer-dryer set that was pulled from Grants Pond in a remote part of Grafton last September, according to the Valley News.

The Attorney General’s Office told the Valley News on Friday no arrests have been made in the homicide, and the case remains under investigation.




Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301
603-224-5301

 

© 2019 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy