Help us fund local COVID-19 reporting in our community

Thursday COVID update: Another N.H. death from the disease; Market Basket limits shopping

  • April 1 COVID map Courtesy—NH DHHS

Published: 4/2/2020 8:02:42 AM

Popular supermarket chain Market Basket will reduce the number of customers allowed in stores at any given time as of April 2.

The move is intended “to support the important public health goal of social distancing,” the company announced.

The number of customers shopping at one time will be limited, based on the size of the store. A single entrance and exit will be designated for customers’ use.

When entering, each shopper will be greeted by an associate who will clean and sanitize a carriage for them, the company said.

The numbers

A fourth person has died of COVID-19 in New Hampshire, although the number of new positive test results seems to have stabilized for the moment.

On Wednesday, the Department of Health and Human Services announced 48 new positive test results for COVID-19, bringing the state’s total to 415. The tally of new positives was slightly fewer than the new number announced on Monday and Tuesday.

DHHS has also announced the fourth death related to COVID-19, a woman in Sullivan County who was over 60 years old with “underlying medical conditions.”

The new positive cases are 30 adult males and 18 adult females. Eight of the new cases were hospitalized. So far, 58 or 14% of the 415 positive cases have been hospitalized.

Fifteen of the new cases have no identified risk factors, meaning that community-based transmission continues to increase in the state.

Concord Crew season canceled

The New Hampshire Interscholastic Athletic Association is still holding out hope that it can hold an abbreviated spring season for high school sports in New Hampshire but Concord Crew, which operates outside of the NHIAA, has decided to cancel its season.

 Concord Crew is made up of students from high schools and middle schools throughout Greater Concord area. The team usually competes in a slate of spring races, including one in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., but that won’t be happening this spring due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“I speak for all the coaches when I say we are upset by the decision.  It is the right decision, we all understand it, and our hearts go out to our athletes,” coach Steve Garside said in open letter on the team’s website.

Concord Crew is still planning on holding its Learn to Row day on June 6 at the Whittemore Boathouse behind Everett Arena in Concord, and its summer camp program run through Concord Parks & Rec. For more information on these events or to donate to the program, go to concordcrew.org.

NH is No. 3 in jobless claim rise

A company called SmartAsset says New Hampshire had the third-highest jump in unemployment claims in mid-March, when the COVID-19 constraints first hit.

According to the company, for the week ending March 21, the state saw 21,878 new unemployment claims, an increase of 3,596% over the long-term average week. Only Louisiana and Nevada had a higher percentage increase.

 

 




Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301
603-224-5301

 

© 2019 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy