OUR ENVIRONMENT NEEDS MORE LOCAL REPORTING

The Concord Monitor is launching its Environmental Reporting Lab, a long-term effort to better inform the community about the New Hampshire environment. To launch phase 1 of this effort, we need your help. The money raised will go toward hiring a full-time environmental reporter.

Please consider donating to this effort.

 

As police investigate a new Concord homicide, January shooting death still unsolved

Monitor staff
Published: 10/16/2021 1:19:19 PM

Two weeks after the death of Cody Tewell kicked off a new investigation, the Concord Police Department and the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office are still looking into a shooting death of a Concord man that took place in January outside a Warren Street apartment complex.

No new information has been released since Jan.17, when an autopsy report showed that 28-year-old Terrence Wigglesworth died from a single gunshot wound in his chest.

The shooting took place on Jan. 16 outside a fourth-floor apartment on 46 Warren Street in Concord around 11:3 0a.m. 

“The exact circumstances surrounding this incident remain  actively under investigation, including the potential of a self-defense claim,” the NH Attorney General’s Office said in a statement issued in January.

Kate Giaquinto, director of communications for the attorney general’s office, said Monday that the  investigation into Wigglesworth’s death is active and ongoing. 

Two weeks ago, Concord Police and the Attorney General’s Office opened an investigation into the death of 31-year-old Cody Tewell at the Alton Woods apartment complex off of Loudon Road. Tewell died of gunshot wounds, according to an autopsy released on October 3. 

The length of these investigations vary. It can take at least 90 to 120 days just for the results of a full autopsy and toxicology report to become available. 

In the past, the Attorney General’s Office has issued reports following investigations of what it calls suspicious deaths.

For self-defense shootings, those reports may explain why there is insufficient evidence to disprove a self defense claim, as in the March 2019 fatal shooting of Kevin Denbow in Manchester.

The attorney general did not bring charges against Adrian Welch, who shot Denbow in the chest during a physical fight. Denbow had stabbed Welch’s friend with a knife before Welch shot him, according to the report. 

The Attorney General’s Office and the Manchester Police Department also issued a report after an investigation into the death of Jason Barry in July 2019. Barry was inside Colin Bouchard’s garage when Bouchard shot him once in the head, according to the findings of the attorney general’s investigation.

A report issued in December 2019 found that the evidence supported Bouchard’s claim of self-defense, but noted that Bouchard had made conflicting statements about the incident.

No new information has been released about the recent Concord shooting since an autopsy confirmed that Tewell’s death was caused by gunshot wounds to the neck and chin, and was ruled a homicide.


Cassidy Jensen bio photo

Cassidy Jensen has been a reporter at the Monitor, covering the city of Concord and criminal justice, since July 2021. Previously, she was a fellow at the Toni Stabile Center for Investigative Journalism at Columbia University, where she earned a master's degree. Her work has been published in Documented, THE CITY, Washington City Paper and Street Sense Media. When she's not at City Council meetings, you can find her hiking in the White Mountains.



Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301
603-224-5301

 

© 2021 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy