Cloudy
45°
Cloudy
Hi 56° | Lo 38°

Concord

A roundup of local sports briefs, news and announcements

Sunday, April 26, 2015

JV result The Concord boys’ JV lacrosse team evened its record at 2-2 with a 5-3 victory over Salem. Connor Sackos and Ben Hicks had goals that put Concord ahead to stay. The defense played another stellar game, backstopped by Liam O’Brian in goal. Youth lacrosse The Concord Crush Black beat Crush Orange, 7-2, in girls’ U9 lacrosse action. For …

Concord City Council gets iPads as city hall goes paperless

Sunday, April 26, 2015

City Clerk Janice Bonenfant’s granddaughter uses an iPad in her Concord classroom. She’s in first grade. Now, the Concord City Council is joining the ranks of such tech-saavy students. All 15 members and a handful of city staffers have brand-new iPads. It’s one step closer to Bonenfant’s ultimate goal: a paperless agenda system for city hall, which will launch in June. The electronic …

Local Nepalese anxiously await word from earthquake survivors

Sunday, April 26, 2015

In between ringing up customers at the Katmandu Bazaar on Loudon Road yesterday, Tsering Lam was anxiously checking Facebook. After a 7.8 magnitude earthquake and subsequent aftershocks devastated Nepal this weekend, the comments and messages from Lam’s friends and family still in the country were piling up. The massive quake leveled many buildings …

Letter: Good time to head downtown

Sunday, April 26, 2015

To the good citizens of Greater Concord: Downtown Concord is open for business, and there is plenty of parking. I can speak to this firsthand as someone who works, dines and shops downtown daily. Yes, there is construction going on. And yes, the traffic pattern is different. But …

Letter: Downtown kindness

Sunday, April 26, 2015

I am in downtown Concord regularly. I just wanted to let everyone know about the wonderful experiences I’ve had with the workers that are transforming Main Street. I have seen them literally run to help a woman in a wheelchair cross the street and on to her destination. …

Letter: The real Mideast threat

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Many thanks for the April 21 editorial on Lawrence Wilkerson’s candid interview on the duplicitous and disastrous United States invasion of Iraq and the perils of the current warmongering regarding Iran. I bet Wilkerson (former chief of staff for Secretary of State Colin Powell, 2002-05) would agree with …

Letter: Let war supporters fight

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Open letter to Republicans opposed to negotiations with Iran: It appears that many (most?) Republicans are objecting to any negotiations with Iran. These same opponents to negotiations certainly seem to prefer military action. I have a thought about military “boots on the ground.” Those (especially our federal legislators) …

Editorial: Downtown must find its magic mix

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Renovating Concord’s Main Street is only the first step toward creating a truly thriving downtown in New Hampshire’s capital city. The city and its business owners must also take a long, hard look at the mix of retail offerings in the downtown core. What kind of shops and …

Birth announcements: Lyla Ferland

Saturday, April 25, 2015

A daughter, Lyla Charron Ferland, was born April 9 at Concord Hospital to Johnathan and Nichole Ferland of Concord. …

People for April 25, 2015

Saturday, April 25, 2015

ALLENSTOWN Becca LaBelle traveled to South Africa with a group of students and faculty from Willam Wood University for the Woods Around the World program. The group raised money for a village school and then traveled to the …

High schools: Track teams jump right in at MV Invitational

Saturday, April 25, 2015

PENACOOK – Yesterday’s Merrimack Valley Invitational, a 32-team non-scoring meet, provided an opportunity for athletes to compete in all 18 track and field events. That chance to compete didn’t come a moment too soon. Just ask any high …

A roundup of local sports briefs, news and announcements

Saturday, April 25, 2015

JV result The Hillsboro-Deering JV baseball team defeated Kearsarge, 11-1. The Hillcats went to bat 32 times, scattering 15 hits. Jake Dyer was strong on the mound, giving up only three hits while striking out 11. Ryan Hayes was solid behind the plate, while Justin Learn, Garrett Miller, …

CLiF donates books to two local groups

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Ascentria Care Alliance refugee resettlement program in Concord and the Penacook Community Center will receive Children’s Literacy Foundation grants. The groups will receive an onsite library of books, a children’s literacy seminar for parents and books for children to take home. Two other New Hampshire groups and four …