M/sunny
56°
M/sunny
Hi 63° | Lo 41°

Concord

High schools: Solid second half can’t save MV football team

Saturday, October 25, 2014

PENACOOK – The focus in football is often on the final minutes, the key moments that tilt close games one way or the other. But in 48-minute games, the early minutes count just as much as the late ones – a hard fact Merrimack Valley was reminded of in a late-season defeat on its home field last night. The Pride …

Kearsarge football team dominates in must-win game

NORTH SUTTON – The stakes were piled high last night for Kearsarge. It was the last home game of the season, rival Lebanon was in town, and staying alive in the playoff race required a victory. The Cougars didn’t just rise to those challenges, they crushed them. Sophomore Justin Norris returned from an …

High school Stars of the Day

Justus Turk, Pembroke boys’ soccer, 5 goals in 6-0 win Ireland Tawney, Hopkinton field hockey, goal in 1-0 2OT win Josh Ames, Concord football, 6 carries for 55 yards, 1 catch for 13 yards, 2 sacks, 43-yard INT return for a TD Jeremy Caruso, Pembroke boys’ soccer, 4 assists in 6-0 win Emma Fredericks, Stark volleyball, 9 aces in 3-1 win Kyle Clements …

Preview capsule outlook of today’s high school tournament action

High school tournaments today Cross country Division championships At Derryfield Park, Manchester Start times: Division I girls 10 a.m.; Division I boys 10:40 a.m.; Division I awards 11:20 a.m.; Division III girls 11:30 a.m.; Division III boys 12:10 p.m.; Division III awards 12:50 p.m.; Division II girls 1 …

Concord controls its playoff destiny after 53-14 rout of Portsmouth

Concord is back in control. A week after dropping out of the second and final playoff position in Division I North, the Crimson Tide football team (6-2) leaped back into the driver’s seat with last night’s 53-14 victory over Portsmouth coupled with Manchester Memorial’s loss to Exeter. “That’s …

Division I North standings

Bedford 8-0 Concord 6-2 Manchester Memorial 5-3 Goffstown 3-4 Manchester Central 3-5 Battle for second Next week Concord (6-2) at Exeter (6-2) Memorial (5-3) at Goffstown (3-4) …

A roundup of local sports briefs, news and announcements

JV results The Concord girls’ JV soccer team fell to Alvirne, 2-0. ∎ The Concord girls’ JV volleyball team defeated Winnacunnet, 3-0. Grace Allaire (eight kills, two digs, two assists), Emmily Attockne (five digs) and Savannah Donohue (six assists) led the Tide. ∎ The Belmont girls’ JV volleyball team defeated …

The Insiders: Pick up a new book that was once owned by someone you probably don’t know

Friday, October 24, 2014

If you’re reading this right now, it must be safe to assume you enjoy the written works of others. And if that’s the case, then you might want to head on over to the Concord Public Library Penacook Branch (3 Merrimack St., Penacook) for its used book sale …

Trial ends in hung jury on discrimination claim against CATCH Neighborhood Housing

Friday, October 24, 2014

In eight hours of deliberation, a jury in federal court could not determine whether CATCH Neighborhood Housing discriminated against one of its disabled tenants. Cathy Wyrenbeck, a 55-year-old resident of Mennino Place in Concord, sued the nonprofit and its property management company last year. She has alleged CATCH …

Letter: Fennessy for school board

Friday, October 24, 2014

I write in strong support of Nathan Fennessy, a candidate for the Concord School Board in Wards 5, 6 and 7. Nathan supports full-day kindergarten because of the academic benefits to our youngest students and because an abbreviated school day places a burden on working families. He also …

Letter: Let climate guide you

Friday, October 24, 2014

Rob Werner has done a public service in outlining the reasons that voters “must weigh climate change choices” (Monitor Forum, Oct. 12). In the days since his column appeared, we have reports that August and September were the hottest months ever recorded (that is a worldwide average, even …

Letter: Not the only one

Friday, October 24, 2014

Having worked for the Executive Council for 30-plus years, I enjoyed your article regarding the Executive Council and the accompanying quiz (Monitor Forum, Oct. 16). However, I must correct your answer to the question regarding how many states other than New Hampshire have the Governor and Executive Council …

Letter: Meet Tom Dawson

Friday, October 24, 2014

I have only one political sign in my yard this year, unlike other election years when I have had up to 10, and it’s for Tom Dawson, who is running for the state House of Representatives. It is hard to elevate your voice over the cacophony of an …