M/clear
35°
M/clear
Hi 55° | Lo 38°

Concord

Concord’s Tupman enjoying former team and teammates’ ride

Sunday, October 19, 2014

The highlights have provided October nights with a riveting backdrop, and Matt Tupman can provide a context along with them that no one else in these parts can. The scenes from the Kansas City Royals’ miracle romp to the World Series can include Alex Gordon hitting a game-winning home run, or diving into the gap to provide the Royals with …

A roundup of local sports briefs, news and announcements

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Cross country champs Deerfield (pictured) swept the Middle School State Cross Country Championships on Saturday, with the girls winning their first title and the boys taking their third in the last four years. The girls tallied 85 points to beat Hollis-Brookline (115) in the small school division behind Serena Britos (fifth, 15:06), Sarah …

Downtown: A new Place to get creative opens on Main Street

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Six weeks ago, Christa Zuber up and quit her job. “I literally walked into my supervisor’s office and said, ‘I have no idea if it’s going to work,’ ” Zuber said. She’s about to find out. This weekend, Zuber opened her downtown do-it-yourself studio and shop – The Place Studio and Gallery at 9 N. Main St. Zuber, 35, has both taught art …

State Senate candidates weigh in on rising electricity costs, long-term energy strategy for New Hampshire

Sunday, October 19, 2014

By the start of the next legislative session in January, energy rates will nearly double for more than 100,000 New Hampshire residents. Also by that time, a new state senator will be sitting in the chair to represent …

Concord’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk raises more than $500,000

Sunday, October 19, 2014

For the eighth consecutive year, Concord’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk raised more than $500,000. This year’s total was $559,446, which was down slightly from 2012 and 2013, said Kimberly Laro, the volunteer director for publicity. But …

Suncook nanobrewery planned to quench ‘beer desert’

Sunday, October 19, 2014

There are 37 breweries in New Hampshire and not one within 20 minutes of Concord. By reducing startup costs and promoting beer tourism, the state has helped create an environment in which craft brewers welcome and cooperate with …

Letter: What’s Brown’s motivation?

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Why does New Hampshire need a “homeless politician?” One who ran and was elected in Massachusetts. One who did such a lousy job that he was not re-elected. Normally, the word re-elect is nice to have on an election banner. Usually, that is. Maybe, he is not actually …

Letter: The wrong choice

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Please vote against Sen. Jeanne Shaheen. She is not a moderate. Shaheen has supported every radical left Obama/Reid policy. Obamacare was forced upon us in a dishonest, partisan manner. Shaheen said we could keep our doctor; not true. She voted for the nuclear option, changing our government for …

Letter: Border jumper

Sunday, October 19, 2014

There once was a senator named Scott Who lost his senatorial spot So he looked to his border to the North For a takeover to bring forth He waltzed on over the New Hampshire border To create a new senatorial order The funds flew in from far and …

Letter: Vote for change

Sunday, October 19, 2014

It is not necessary for me to point out all the disasters this president and the Congress have caused by poor leadership, as everyone is well aware of them. Nov. 4 is a very important election. The welfare of America is at stake. I am not voting for …

Letter: A fresh perspective

Sunday, October 19, 2014

In this political atmosphere of negative (and sometimes dishonest) campaigning, it is difficult to become excited about a visit to the polling booth. However, during his first term as a New Hampshire representative, Howard Moffett (not Mike Moffett – we ask that you not confuse the two, as …

Letter: Other side of school choice

Sunday, October 19, 2014

I found Jane Hunt’s article (Monitor Forum, Sept. 24) to be very narrow-minded when it comes to education. I also believe it is very negative and divisive, stating choice “further splinters our social infrastructure.” If we look at history and the many ways people have learned with many …

Letter: Poor Route 28

Sunday, October 19, 2014

As I drive around the state, I have to wonder why it seems the New Hampshire Highway Department has abandoned the repair and maintenance of busy Route 28 from the circle in Epsom to the circle in Alton. It seems it truly is the “bastard child” of the …