L/fog
53°
L/fog
Hi 84° | Lo 59°

Concord

PHOTOS: The Hopkinton 4th of July parade winds through downtown Contoocook Saturday

Sunday, July 5, 2015

The Hopkinton Fourth of July parade beat the rain this year as both the children’s and full parades finished just in time as sprinkles started just as the last parade participant got through downtown Contoocook. …

Rapping – and rocking – with Matt Bonner

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Major NBA news broke on Saturday when the San Antonio Spurs and a sweet-shooting power forward reportedly agreed to a lucrative, multi-year contract. You’re probably thinking the Spurs finally paid Concord’s Matt Bonner what he’s worth. Oddly enough, that’s not the case. LaMarcus Aldridge was the power forward who allegedly agreed to a …

High school Player of the Season for girls’ tennis

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Gabby Killinger SCHOOL : Concord High HONORS/STATS : The senior was the No. 1 player for a Crimson Tide team that went 14-3 and reached the Division I finals. She advanced to the state doubles final with her sister, Alex, and reached the quarterfinals of the state singles tournament. 3 FAVORITE THINGS : …

A roundup of local sports briefs, news and announcements

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Softball result The N.H. Senior All-Stars swept two games against the Maine Senior All-Stars in a softball doubleheader at St. Joseph’s College in Standish, Maine, on Saturday, winning 9-0 and 14-3. It was the eighth year Maine and N.H. held these games to honor their best senior softball …

People for July 4, 2015

Saturday, July 4, 2015

CONCORD Chrisinda Lynch earned a bachelor’s degree in English from Macaulay Honors College and The City College of New York. She was the recipient of a Dortort Family undergraduate prize in creative writing, a Women’s Media Group fellowship and a David Dortort undergraduate fellowship. Mark Boucher was named …

remembering America’s heroes

Saturday, July 4, 2015

M any will remember the patriots who paved the way for America this Independence Day. …

Concord Crier for July 5, 2015

Saturday, July 4, 2015

PENACOOK Arthur James entertains farmers market crowds ∎ Musical entertainment at the Penacook Farmers Market on Monday will be provided by Arthur James. The farmers market runs from 4 to 6:30 p.m. at the Rolfe House on Penacook Street. CHERYL STINSON 753-9752 News03303@aol.com East Side Quilters host Christmas in …

Up, up & away: The ultralight experience is about serenity, not adrenaline

Saturday, July 4, 2015

The joy of flying ultralights isn’t just the thrill or adrenaline; it’s the serenity of floating over the land and absorbing the scenery. “I fly ultralights for the fun of it,” said Carroll Werren, a powered parachute flight …

Founding documents have a home in Concord, and all are welcome

Saturday, July 4, 2015

When the Continental Congress approved the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, its president, John Hancock, was the first one to sign it. His large, grandiose signature has lived on through the ages and his name has entered American English lexicon as a synonym for signature. While …

Ray Duckler: Are you driving and talking hands free yet?

Saturday, July 4, 2015

With apologies to the Concord Police Department, I broke the law three days ago and got away with it. No one pulled me over for talking on my cell phone, held to my ear, which is no longer …

A roundup of local sports briefs, news and announcements

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Youth softball The NH Lightning 16U Black softball team was runner-up last weekend at the annual ASA Summer Sizzler in Brattleboro, Vt. The Lightning went 3-0 in pool play, beating the VT Rockets, VT Thunder and Brattleboro Heat while scoring 27 runs and allowing only six runs behind …

Letter: Subtle racism

Friday, July 3, 2015

One of the most powerful lines in President Obama’s eulogy in Charleston was this: “Maybe we now realize the way a racial bias can infect us even when we don’t realize it so that we’re guarding against not just racial slurs but we’re also guarding against the subtle …

Letter: A hypocritical zealot

Friday, July 3, 2015

On the one hand, Jerry DeLemus advocates for a “draw Muhammad art contest” even if it insults the faith of Muslims. And yet, on the other hand, he would not allow any drawings he deems “indecent or crude” because, as a “born-again Christian,” he would find similar drawings …