Clear
68°
Clear
Hi 86° | Lo 60°

Concord

Runner who sought to cross U.S. on foot returns to Concord a bit early

Sunday, August 2, 2015

In the middle of nowhere, Alan Barlow jogged up to a general store on the side of the road. He pushed a 75-pound stroller with clothes, gadgets, some food and water. But with hundreds miles of pavement behind him and hundreds of miles yet to go, Barlow was hungry for breakfast. The clerk at the store told him the breakfast …

Downtown: Concord looks to adopt forward-leaning, forward-thinking logo

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Construction is already under way to redesign nine blocks of Concord’s Main Street. Next up: redesigning the familiar blue-and-white wheelchair icon. The Accessible Icon Project began in 2010 in Cambridge, Mass., as a guerilla art campaign. Two artists placed stickers on top of existing parking signs, giving the International Symbol of Access a …

The changing reality of teen summer jobs

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Each summer for the past 33 years, Norm Ballard has been hiring local teens at his bustling ice cream stand in Concord’s South End. Summer employees at Ballard’s work from April to September, cleaning countertops, taking customer orders and preparing ice cream. As Ballard sees it, though, the most important part of the …

Announcements: Fast track to college

Sunday, August 2, 2015

CONCORD Express admission Prospective students to NHTI will have the opportunity to complete their entire admissions process at Sweeney Hall in a single day and the normal $20 application fee will be waived Aug. 12 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The day includes meeting with an admissions …

Announcements: Cook up your best chili

Sunday, August 2, 2015

HENNIKER Chili masters Time to sign up as a chili maker for the annual Fire On the Mountain Chili Fest, sponsored by the Henniker Rotary Club, scheduled for Aug. 23 from noon to 4:30 p.m. at Pats Peak Ski Area. In addition to chili, there will be live …

Summer jobs: A career in training in construction

Sunday, August 2, 2015

There was a time when a college degree was seen as an automatic ticket to employment. Now, those entering college are facing a different reality, and they’re looking for ways to set themselves apart from the field. Concord’s …

Summer jobs: Learning the scoop at Ballard’s Ice Cream

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Lily Laura, 16, lives down the road from Ballard’s Ice Cream in Concord, so it was a familiar door to knock on when she went looking for her first job. Since April, the soon-to-be Concord High junior has …

Summer jobs: A poolside paycheck

Sunday, August 2, 2015

For decades, lifeguarding has been the quintessential summer job for teens. In recent years, however, the popularity of the position has dwindled; in fact, cities across the country have recorded a severe shortage of summertime lifeguards. Eliza Bunnell, …

Summer jobs: Learning while working at Dimond Hill Farm

Sunday, August 2, 2015

For as long as he can remember, 19-year-old Jean-Philippe Dubois has always seen food as a link to the past. “I’m French-Canadian . . . so we have a lot of family recipes that we cook, and that …

Letter: Our bumbling government

Sunday, August 2, 2015

I was just reading my New Hampshire Legionnaire newspaper and saw that $54.4 million is missing from the prosthetic VA fund. This fund was for 2,177 service people who need our help. These military men and women gave it all for our country, and now they must wait …

Letter: Hot air

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Frankly, I’m sick of all this fuss about Brady and the “Deflategate” scandal. The idea that a major sport involves two teams, that each bring their own footballs to the game, is remarkably stupid. How about doing the same in tennis? Have each contestant use his own tennis …

Letter: Funny or sad

Sunday, August 2, 2015

If the UNH bias guide was meant as parody/satire/spoof, then it’s reasonably funny; if not, then it’s idiocy of the highest water. ADOLPHE BERNOTAS Concord …

Letter: Clinton offers energy solutions

Sunday, August 2, 2015

I was reminded recently why I am a proud Democrat and Hillary Clinton supporter. Beech Hill Farm hosted Hillary on a warm sunny day. No one complained about the heat as we waited for her to arrive. Instead, I was – and I hope others were – reminded …