×

Former Boys & Girls Club employee accused of repeatedly raping teen girl

  • Joshua Adams, 29, of New Hampton faces six counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault and one count of endangering the welfare of a child.



Monitor staff
Tuesday, December 11, 2018

A former Concord Boys & Girls Club employee is facing new charges of repeatedly raping an underage girl at different locations in the city while he was supposed to be overseeing her and other students.

Joshua Adams, 29, of New Hampton sexually assaulted the minor, starting when she was 14, in the Boys & Girls Club stairway, bathroom and behind a “half-wall,” according to court documents. Away from the club, Adams is accused of assaulting the girl on the organization’s bus, and in the parking lots of Walmart and McDonald’s in Concord.

The victim, who met Adams at the Boys & Girls Club while she attended programs there in September 2016, said the assaults continued for at least a year. She reported him to police at the end of August, officials said.

Adams is now facing 13 charges of felonious sexual assault and one count of endangering the welfare of a minor after he was indicted by a grand jury last month. Adams was arrested Sept. 6 and initially faced five counts of felonious sexual assault and one count each of endangering the welfare of a child and aggravated felonious sexual assault.

He is scheduled to be arraigned at Merrimack Superior Court on Dec. 17 at 8:30 a.m.

Adams has been out of jail on $500 bail since October, and is prohibited from having unsupervised contact with anyone under the age of 16, in addition to the victim or her family.

Christopher Emond, CEO of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central New Hampshire, told the Monitor that the club was not aware of the assaults before Adams’s arrest. He said that all club employees and volunteers must undergo a criminal background check before beginning work; Adams had no previous criminal record in New Hampshire, according to court records.

Adams, who worked at Boys & Girls Club locations in Concord and Franklin, stopped working at the organization in August 2017. However, he was seen at the Boys & Girls Club in Concord as recently as this year as a result of his employment with another agency for which he was responsible for transporting some club participants to the Bradley Street site, police said.

Emond said the club is cooperating fully with authorities and will continue to do so as the judicial process moves forward.

“We have also communicated with parents regarding this matter,” Emond said. “The safety and protection of the children we serve is our number one priority.”

(Leah Willingham can be reached at 369-3322, lwillingham@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @LeahMWillingham.)