OUR ENVIRONMENT NEEDS MORE LOCAL REPORTING

The Concord Monitor is launching its Environmental Reporting Lab, a long-term effort to better inform the community about the New Hampshire environment. To launch phase 1 of this effort, we need your help. The money raised will go toward hiring a full-time environmental reporter.

Please consider donating to this effort.

 

Beware of 9-volt batteries

Last modified: 8/9/2012 12:00:00 AM
'

BEWARE OF 9-VOLT batteries that you may have stored away.

They could spark a disaster.

That's what state Fire Marshal William Degnan says, citing a fire that broke out in a kitchen drawer last month.

Degnan said a 9-volt battery rubbed against another battery, igniting a fire that produced smoke.

A 9-volt battery, Degnan said in a statement, is a fire hazard because the positive and negative posts sit on top, in close proximity. Anything metallic that comes in contact with the posts will heat up and ignite a fire.

Degnan said to store 9-volts in their original packaging.'


Jobs



Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Concord Monitor, recently named the best paper of its size in New England.


Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301
603-224-5301

 

© 2021 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy