Firefighters knock down first-alarm blaze in 18th-century Concord home

  • Fire on Graham Road in Concord. Photo by JAY HEATH

  • A Concord Fire Department SUV is parked out front of a farm house at 14 Graham Road in Concord on Friday. GEOFF FORESTER / Monitor staff

Monitor staff
Published: 10/26/2018 10:50:16 AM

Firefighters saved a 248-year-old home Thursday night after a first-alarm fire broke out shortly before 8 p.m.

Crews from Concord, Bow and Loudon responded to 14 Graham Road where smoke was showing from a two-and-a-half story house, which was built in 1770, Concord fire Chief Dan Andrus said. The fire was largely contained to the attic and the second floor of the old farmhouse, limiting the damage to the rest of the structure, he said.

“I’m thankful that a nearly-250-year-old house was not lost,” Andrus said Friday morning.

Firefighters declared the fire under control about 9 p.m., roughly an hour after it had started.

Andrus said there were people home at the time the fire started but no one was injured.

The cause of the fire was ruled to be accidental and was traced to an overloaded electrical circuit, Andrus said. Investigators with the state fire marshal’s office were on scene Friday morning for a follow-up investigation.

The 3,300-square-foot home sits on 7½ acres and is owned by Ann and Joseph Hyland, according to city assessing records.

In addition to crews on scene, firefighters from Allenstown, Boscawen, Hopkinton and Pembroke assisted by covering the Capital city during the incident.




Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301
603-224-5301

 

© 2020 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy