Police: Armed Northfield man arrested after intervention by state SWAT team

  • David Fielding, 34, of Northfield was arrested Thursday, Jan. 25, 2018, after a six-hour standoff with police, according to reports. Courtesy

Monitor staff
Friday, January 26, 2018

A man accused of assaulting a woman with a pistol in Northfield engaged in a six-hour standoff with police after barricading himself in a Franklin home where he hid to avoid apprehension Thursday, police said.

David Fielding, 34, of Northfield was charged with second-degree assault, reckless conduct, simple assault (domestic violence-related) and violation of a protective order, said Northfield Patrol Sgt. Jim McIntire.

Northfield police had received a report of shots fired at a home near 37 Diana Drive about 5:55 a.m. Thursday and had been looking for a suspect ever since. The department asked other law enforcement agencies to be on the lookout for a dark SUV, which was ultimately located outside a residence on A Street in Franklin.

Franklin police found the car outside 49 A St., surrounded by bullet casings. They later called the state SWAT unit to the scene, which used tear gas to coax Fielding out of the house over a period of six hours, said Franklin police Chief David Goldstein.

Northfield police had gained more information about the alleged attacker after returning to Diana Drive later in the morning to canvas the area. Officers were approached by a woman who claimed to have been “pistol-whipped,” or struck in the head a number of a times with semi-automatic pistol, McIntire said.

Officers escorted the victim to the Northfield police department where she received a medical evaluation from the Tilton-Northfield Fire Department. She was eventually transported to Franklin Regional Hospital, McIntire said.

After arriving at the house and discovering the casings, police established a perimeter around the house and asked those inside to exit via a public address system. Two people who identified themselves as the owners exited the house, saying that Fielding and a friend, Shawn Jacques, 35, of Northfield, remained sleeping inside, Goldstein said.

Police requested the help of the state SWAT unit, which arrived about 11:30 a.m. Goldstein said the SWAT team used a combination of “negotiating techniques” and nonlethal gas to coax the men out of the house.

Both were taken into custody, but Jacques was not charged with a crime. Fielding is set to be arraigned Friday in Merrimack Superior Court.

Members of the state police; the Merrimack County sheriff’s office; and the Alexandria, Hill, Danbury, Boscawen, Andover and Webster police departments assisted with the arrest.

(Leah Willingham can be reached at 369-3322, lwillingham@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @LeahMWillingham.)