Tucker Carlson sees advertiser exodus after Black Lives comment

Bloomberg
Published: 6/12/2020 9:01:23 AM
Modified: 6/12/2020 9:01:10 AM

Tucker Carlson is losing more advertisers in the wake of the Fox News host’s controversial comments about the Black Lives Matter movement.

Walt Disney Co., Papa John’s International Inc. and T-Mobile US Inc. said this week they would no longer advertise on his show after he sparked an uproar in addressing the global protests over police brutality and racial inequality.

“This may be a lot of things, this moment we are living through,” he said Monday on his Fox News show, Tucker Carlson Tonight. “But it is definitely not about black lives and remember that when they come for you, and at this rate, they will.”

A Fox News spokesperson said earlier this week, “Tucker’s warning about ‘when they come for you’ was clearly referring to Democratic leaders and inner-city politicians.” The spokesperson said that all national ads and revenue from Carlson’s show have moved to other programs and Fox News hasn’t lost any revenue overall.

A spokesperson for Disney’s ABC told the publication Deadline that ads for its shows were placed on Carlson’s program without the network’s knowledge by a third-party ad buyer.

Papa John’s will no longer advertise on any opinion-based programming, it said in an emailed statement. “Placement of advertising is not intended to be an endorsement of any specific programming or commentary.”

Online activists have targeted Fox News advertisers as part of an ongoing campaign to damage the profits of companies that they believe promote bigotry and sexism.




Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301
603-224-5301

 

© 2020 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy