More updates on that C-130 hauled through Concord – it spent weeks inside a temporary hangar at Pease

  • The wings of a C-130 on a flatbed truck at Pease International Airport on Nov. 21, 2020, preparing to be moved. Andre blohm—Courtesy

Monitor staff
Published: 11/22/2020 7:11:44 PM

The huge military transport plane that was hauled through Concord last week had previously spent time inside a temporary hangar at Pease International Airport, where it had been sent after being at an Army base in Maryland that conducts biomedical research.

That’s the latest update in the story of the 55,000-pound fuselage of a C-130 that crawled through Concord and Hopkinton on Wednesday, raising a thousand questions from Monitor readers. The plane’s complete history and resolution awaits official release from the military.

According to John Robinson, a civilian pilot who works at Pease airport and observed the plane over many months, the C-130 flew into the airport some months ago, after which “they built this big structure and they put the plane in it.

“It was almost like a makeshift hangar,” he said, describing the structure as being made of fabric-like material, sealed up. “It looked like it was being fumigated, or something like that.”

Pease authorities say a Florida company called Aeroclave was involved with the plane there. Aeroclave sells “a system capable of decontaminating commercial and military aircraft from pandemic-producing viruses and other disease-causing pathogens,” according to its website, but the company declined to discuss specifics until the military has authorized the release.

According to a report from the Aircraft Operators and Pilots Association, before coming to Pease, the C-130 had been decommissioned and taken to Fort Detrick in Maryland, where it was “used to test equipment and procedures.” The history of Fort Detrick says that it is a “center for advanced biomedical research and development” that includes the National Interagency Biodefense Campus as well as branches of the National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center with the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases. Until 1969, the site in Frederick, Md., about 50 miles from Washington, D.C., was the center of research into “offensive biological warfare,” involving “agents requiring specialty containment.”

According to Robinson, the plane was in the hangar for some months, then a few weeks ago the structure was taken down and then the plane’s engines, wings and tail stabilizers were removed. Last Wednesday the fuselage was carried on a flatbed through New Hampshire, passing through Concord and Lebanon on the way to Vermont. According to the company hauling the plane, it is being taken to Legacy Aerospace in Fletcher, N.C., which does repairs, support and service to older aircraft. The wings and stabilizers will be moved separately.

Legacy Aerospace declined to comment on the eventual fate until the military gives permission.

The C-130 is a four-engine turboprop created in 1956 for carrying troops and equipment around the world. It is still being produced today, making it what appears to be the longest continuously made military plane in U.S. history. According to the serial number, this plane was built in 1974 and  decommissioned last year.

(David Brooks can be reached at 369-3313 or or on Twitter @GraniteGeek.)

David Brooks bio photo

David Brooks is a reporter and the writer of the sci/tech column Granite Geek and blog, as well as moderator of the monthly Science Cafe Concord events. After obtaining a bachelor’s degree in mathematics he became a newspaperman, working in Virginia and Tennessee before spending 28 years at the Nashua Telegraph . He joined the Monitor in 2015.

Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301


© 2021 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy