Eight State Troopers, two former Concord police officers appear on newly public Laurie List  

Monitor staff
Published: 3/29/2022 7:56:11 PM

The New Hampshire Attorney General has made public the names of 174 current and former police officers on the state’s exculpatory evidence schedule, a list of officers with problematic past issues on their record.

Two of those names belong to former Concord police officers.

Bryan Croft, whose name appeared on a previous version of the list released last year, pleaded guilty in 2021 to domestic violence charges. Former Concord officer Joshua Levasseur was added for an incident in 2013, according to the version of the list released on Tuesday, for behavior described under the category “unknown.” Levasseur worked for the department from 2005 until 2017. 

Commonly called the “Laurie List,” the schedule of officers is maintained by the Attorney General’s Office. Legislation passed last year mandated that officers’ names be made public in stages, after giving officers an opportunity to appeal their status in court.

Much of the information on the list released Tuesday is redacted, including the identities and departments of dozens of officers who have filed lawsuits under seal to prevent their names from becoming public. 

A partial list of 90 officers who had been placed on the list since April 30, 2018 became public in December. In January, the Attorney General reported that there were 265 officers on the full list.

“Truthfulness” is the most common reason provided for an officer’s placement on the list, for about 80 officers. Other categories include criminal concord, falsification of records, excessive force and dereliction of duty.

Also among the current and former officers on the list are eight New Hampshire State Police troopers.

One name that is not visible on this latest version belongs to former State Police Trooper Haden Wilber, who was fired in August 2021 after an internal investigation showed that he made false statements and illegally searched a woman’s phone during a 2017 traffic stop. In 2019, the New Hampshire Department of Safety settled a lawsuit brought by the woman, Robyn White, for more than $200,000.

The ACLU of New Hampshire filed a Right to Know request for records related to Wilber’s termination, which the agency denied. A hearing in that case is scheduled for Thursday at 8:30 a.m. in Merrimack Superior Court.

Gilles Bissonnette, Legal Director at the ACLU of New Hampshire, said that documents from that case show that Wilber was placed on the schedule in August. Officers placed on the schedule after the legislation was passed last summer stay on a temporary, non-public list until they have exhausted grievance processes.

Bissonnette noted that the rows of blacked-out information on the current list are consistent with the law passed last year. He said he expects more public roll-outs of names as officers’ lawsuits resolve. The ACLU has moved to intervene for transparency sake in five of the officers’ cases.

“This is a part of the process going forward, but where we are right now, is very far from where we were a year ago, when we had none of this information,” Bissonnette said. “It’s a step in the right direction for transparency.”


Cassidy Jensen bio photo

Cassidy Jensen has been a reporter at the Monitor, covering the city of Concord and criminal justice, since July 2021. Previously, she was a fellow at the Toni Stabile Center for Investigative Journalism at Columbia University, where she earned a master's degree. Her work has been published in Documented, THE CITY, Washington City Paper and Street Sense Media. When she's not at City Council meetings, you can find her hiking in the White Mountains.



Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301
603-224-5301

 

© 2021 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy