×

Weare pays $300,000 to family of man killed in August shooting



Last modified: Tuesday, June 24, 2014
The family of the 35-year-old man shot to death last year by a Weare police officer has agreed not to sue the town in exchange for $300,000.

A settlement agreement was signed June 10, and the town’s insurer, Primex, transferred the money this week, according to the town’s attorney. The money will go to Michelly Rodriguez of Nashua, who is the administrator of the estate for the man, Alex Jose Cora de Jesus.

De Jesus was killed late Aug. 14 while fleeing a drug bust at Lanctot’s Plaza on Route 114. Two police officers opened fire, striking de Jesus once fatally in the temple. He was unarmed throughout the exchange.

An eight-month investigation into the incident ultimately absolved the fatal shooter, Officer Nicholas Nadeau, from criminal charges. In a report detailing the investigation, released in April, the attorney general’s office said it could not determine whether Nadeau had been justified.

The report was highly critical of the police department, insisting that the five officers involved had no real plan going in, and that the ranking officer, former sergeant Joseph Kelley, should have called for backup from other agencies. Kelley was fired in November for unrelated department violations, which he is contesting.

Lawrence Vogelman, the attorney for the de Jesus’s estate, said in April he planned to file a wrongful death suit against the town. No suit was ever filed.

Vogelman was out of the office yesterday afternoon and did not respond to an email requesting comment. The town’s attorney declined to comment and asked that his name not be used.

According to the suit, the family has relinquished all potential legal claims against the town, its officers and contracted workers. Two other family members are named in the agreement: Jose Cora Figueroa and Juana de Jesus Ortiz. It is unclear what their relation is to de Jesus.

De Jesus, a Puerto Rican immigrant, had been living in Manchester at the time of the shooting. He was convicted of illegal drug sales in 2010, and the state prosecutors said a suspended prison sentence from that case was the likely reason he fled.



(Jeremy Blackman can be reached at 369-3319, jblackman@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @JBlackmanCM.)