Manchester dentist acquitted in Concord on 45 counts of Medicaid fraud

Last modified: 10/25/2014 12:31:47 AM
A Manchester orthodontist charged in December with 160 counts of Medicaid fraud has been acquitted by a jury in Concord, his attorney said yesterday.

Nicholas Marshall, 57, of Webster was found not guilty on 45 counts, attorney Jim Moir said. The rest, plus additional indictments, were previously dropped.

Marshall had been accused of making false claims to the state Medicaid office for various procedures, including oral exams, X-rays, tooth extractions and orthopedic treatment. Prosecutors alleged that he billed the state for services that he was already receiving payment for through a lump sum treatment plan.

Moir said the total sum in question, including all 45 counts, was $781.

Moir suggested in December that the case involved a simple misunderstanding, and he reiterated the assertion yesterday, saying Marshall believed he had been billing the procedures correctly. The verdict was reached Thursday in Merrimack County Superior Court, following a two-day trial.

Marshall is still practicing, but he is no longer accepting Medicaid patients, Moir said.

Jeremy Blackman


Jobs



Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Concord Monitor, recently named the best paper of its size in New England.


Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301
603-224-5301

 

© 2020 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy