×

Man who threatened to kill wife in Belmont sentenced to jail

  • Izaiah Conway, 21, of Belmont —Courtesy



Monitor staff
Tuesday, June 19, 2018

A local man accused of beating, choking and threatening to kill his wife in January is serving the remainder of a one-year jail sentence after pleading guilty to lesser charges.

Izaiah Conway, 21, – who is listed in court records as having addresses in Belmont and Gilford – recently pleaded guilty in Belknap County Superior Court to second-degree assault, a Class B felony, as well as misdemeanor counts of simple assault and criminal threatening.

Judge James O’Neill III sentenced Conway to one year in county jail on each of the misdemeanor charges, although he will serve those sentences concurrently. He also received a 2½- to five-year state prison sentence, all of which is suspended for two years and commences upon his release from jail. He will be on probation for one year.

In exchange for his pleas, prosecutors dismissed three additional counts of second-degree assault and one count of being a felon in possession of a deadly weapon.

Conway, who has been incarcerated since his arrest in mid-January, received credit for 147 days already served. As a condition of the suspended prison sentence, Conway must complete an intensive outpatient drug treatment program and engage in anger management therapy.

Belmont police responded to Cycle Lane in the early-morning hours of Jan. 12 for a report of a felony-level assault during which a firearm had been discharged. The woman told police he had grabbed her by the throat and applied pressure while holding her against the fridge. She also alleged he had struck her several times with a retractable baton. The attack stopped when a neighbor heard screams and intervened.

Prosecutors said previously that Conway telephoned his mother from jail and urged her to try to get his wife to drop the charges.

While the case was pending, a protective order remained in place prohibiting contact between Conway and his wife. However, the order was vacated June 6, coinciding with his sentencing. The victim had filed a motion in March asking a judge to lift the no-contact provision, but her request was denied, in part, because of Conway’s criminal record which includes convictions for similar domestic violence offenses.

At the time of his arrest in January, Conway was free on personal recognizance bail on charges of simple assault and criminal threatening. Authorities alleged he had also attacked his wife in late November in Meredith and then violated a bail order by being with her a few days later. A restraining order was immediately issued against Conway, but lifted in early December at the woman’s request.

Conway has a prior felony drug conviction and has faced charges before for being in possession of a loaded handgun.

(Alyssa Dandrea can be reached at 369-3319, adandrea@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @_ADandrea.)