Witness statements reveal police received reports prior to Reid killings


Monitor staff

Published: 02-14-2023 7:09 PM

In the days leading up to the double homicide of retired Concord couple Steve and Wendy Reid, several calls were made to the Concord Police Department to report a suspicious male in the area of what would later be identified as the crime scene, according to recently released court documents.

Police were unable to locate the man who was acting strangely by yelling and mumbling to himself, making people feel uncomfortable and standing threateningly behind vehicles as they tried to leave the parking area of the popular Marsh Loop Trail, according to court documents released after the arraignment of Logan Clegg on murder charges in January.

Clegg made them uneasy, several witnesses said of their encounters with him while he was living in Concord between November 2021 and April 2022, when the murders took place.

Clegg was taken into custody in October and faces two counts of second-degree murder for knowingly causing the deaths of the Reids, two alternative counts of second-degree murder for recklessly causing their deaths by shooting them, three counts of falsifying evidence that he concealed their bodies and burned his tent and campsite after their deaths, and one count of being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm.

Following the deaths of the Reids, the Concord Police Department launched an extensive six month investigation with assistance from the New Hampshire State police and the South Burlington Police Department that led to Clegg’s arrest in South Burlington, Vermont. Witness statements collected during the investigation revel the uneasy and wary presence felt by passersby in the wake of their encounters with Clegg.

During his time in Concord, he encountered many residents on the Broken Ground Trails, all of which reported that his strange behavior made them nervous, fearful and uneasy. So much so that some turned around mid-hike to avoid crossing paths with Clegg.

Several months before the murders, a man who frequents the Broken Ground Trails, contacted police after he spotted a single tent tucked away in a secluded area of the woods near the power lines. Though not fearful at the time, he was skeptical of the possible homeless encampment. Police could not locate the site, according to court documents.

In March, about a month before the fatal shooting, a woman was walking on the Broken Ground Trails when she approached a young man on the trails who appeared to be homeless and was screaming to himself. When the man noticed her, he stopped screaming and looked at the ground to avoid eye contact. She told police she thought he might have mental health issues.

Article continues after...

Yesterday's Most Read Articles

‘Where they go, I don’t know’ – Concord police clear backyard encampment along train tracks
Loudon police chief resigns, takes new job as patrolman in Gilmanton
Hiking bunny continues to bring joy to family after loss
Hopkinton family donates 455 acres for land conservation
Concord’s Railyards and Isabella apartments near completion; not yet ready for tenants
Chichester animal rescue Live and Let Live Farm stripped of pet vendor license amid bitter feud with Department of Agriculture

Four days before the homicides, a different woman contacted police after a strange man suddenly appeared behind her vehicle as she prepared to leave the trail parking lot. Fearful for herself and the children in the area, she contacted police but the man was gone when they arrived.

Three days before the murders, the man who frequently walked the trails contacted police again to report seeing a second tent in the same vicinity of the first. Police responded and he led them to the site, which appeared vacant. Within the days following the killings, the man noticed both tents were gone, he later told police.

Police said Clegg was living in the woods prior to the double homicide and burned his tent site and fled the area in the days after the shooting. They later found bullet casings at the campsite that matched those found at the murder scene, which was less than half a mile from the Reids’ home, which led to the murder charges.

The Reids left their Alton Woods apartment complex for a walk around 2:22 p.m. on April 18 and never returned. Their bodies were found three days later on the trails near their home after they were reported missing.

They were known for their years of humanitarian work around the world and had recently moved to Concord to retire. They were outdoor enthusiasts who frequently walked at the Broken Ground trails, family and friends said.

Police eventually identified Clegg as a suspect and learned he worked at the McDonald’s on Loudon Road. His co-workers had similar experiences with Clegg and often felt uneasy in his presence, according to court records.

They reported that Clegg had anger issues and would often mutter and yell to himself or others and slam his hand on surfaces when he got frustrated. He was overly protective of his belongings and easily agitated and annoyed by others. Before the murders took place, coworkers stated they wouldn’t be surprised if he turned out to be a serial killer or a school shooter, according to court documents.

One of the most important witnesses in the case was a Concord woman who saw the Reids moments before their death as they hiked ahead of her. After hearing what sounded like gunshots ahead of her on the trail, she encountered a man, whom police identified as Clegg, who was standing on the trail looking into the woods where the Reids were later discovered.

She continued past him while looking into the wooded area but she didn’t see anything. At one point, she turned to look back at him and he was staring at her. Based on her description, police were able to put together a more concrete timeline and establish Clegg as the main person of interest in the Reids’ death.

Clegg’s trial has been set for July. He remains held without bail and if convicted, he could face life in prison.