Updated: Police officer shot in the arm by man on Buckley Road in Weare, suspect later found dead

  • Weare police Officer Chad Averill stands guard at the end of Buckley Road in Weare on Thursday morning after a fellow officer was shot. The suspect was later found dead. GEOFF FORESTER / Monitor staff

  • Weare police Officer Chad Averill directs traffic on Buckley Road on Thursday after a fellow officer was shot. GEOFF FORESTERMonitor staff

Monitor staff
Published: 8/1/2019 7:36:40 AM

A report of a domestic violence incident in Weare ended Thursday morning with an injured police officer and a dead suspect.

Authorities say Jeffrey Clough-Garvin, 43, shot Weare police Officer William Lewis, 27, in the arm after police responded to a call for assistance from 236 Buckley Road around 1:40 a.m.

The call was made by an adult female at the residence, who exited the house prior to an exchange of gunfire between Clough-Garvin and two Weare officers, including Lewis. Only the officer and Clough-Garvin were injured during the incident, authorities said.

It is unclear which officer fired a gun, but the second officer is on leave per his request, said Weare police Chief Christopher Moore.

The injury to Lewis was not life-threatening, New Hampshire Attorney General Gordon MacDonald said. The second police officer’s name is currently being withheld pending an interview.

Lewis was expected to undergo surgery Thursday afternoon at Concord Hospital. New Hampshire State Police Col. Chris Wagner said Concord police transported Lewis’s mother from Massachusetts to be with him at the hospital.

After shots were fired at 1:48 a.m., police retreated and left Clough-Garvin alone in the house, who had barricaded himself in the residence. Police advised residents in the area, which includes the All Seasons Campground, to shelter in place while the incident was ongoing.

The New Hampshire SWAT team responded to the scene at 2:30 a.m. with a helicopter, the state’s major crimes unit and its evidence disposal team, Wagner said. Police attempted to negotiate with Clough-Garvin over several hours, but were unsuccessful.

SWAT found Clough-Garvin dead about 8:30 a.m. when they made entry into the home. The circumstances around his death are unclear and will be part of the Attorney General’s investigation, MacDonald said.

Moore said he “couldn’t be more proud” of how Lewis, who was hired last July, responded to the incident. He also expressed concern for Clough-Garvin.

“You know, the last thing we want is for someone to get injured in any type of incident,” he said. “The incident was created as a result of his actions, but he is still a victim of this incident. We don’t know his mental state, we just have to respond to best of our ability and take the appropriate action.

“Obviously that’s my top priority, to make sure all my guys go home at night,” Moore later said.

The Weare Police Department equips its officers with body cameras, which were on and operational at the time of the incident, the attorney general said.

An autopsy to determine Clough-Garvin’s cause of death will take place on Friday.

Stay informed with our free email updates
Concord Monitor Daily Headlines
Concord Monitor Breaking News
Concord Monitor Dining & Entertainment
Concord Monitor Report For America Education
Concord Monitor Report For America Health
Concord Monitor Real Estate
Concord Monitor Sports
Concord Monitor Suncook Valley
Concord Monitor Contests & Promotions
Concord Monitor Weekly Most Popular
Concord Monitor Granite Geek
Concord Monitor Monitor Marquee
Concord Monitor Hopkinton
Concord Monitor Politics
Concord Monitor MY CONCORD
Concord Monitor Franklin

Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301


© 2021 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy

Customer Service

Social Media


View All Sections

Part of the Newspapers of New England Family