Police: Man shot by brother-in-law in Franklin


Monitor staff

Published: 11-03-2023 3:27 PM

Franklin police are investigating a shooting Thursday night at a residence on Webster Lake Road that injured a man before another man, who was waiting outside the residence when police arrived, was arrested and charged with two felonies.

Police allege that John Duchesne, 38, shot his 35-year-old brother-in-law, John Santos. Franklin Police Chief Dave Goldstein said Santos did not suffer life-threatening injuries. He was treated at Concord Hospital on Thursday night.

At least one bullet hit Santos, said Goldstein.

Duchesne, who was not granted bail, was charged with one count of first-degree assault with a deadly weapon, a Class A Felony; one count of reckless conduct during a domestic dispute with a deadly weapon, a Class B Felony; and four counts of endangering the life of a child, each a Class A Misdemeanor representing the four children who were in the house at the time of the shooting.

No child was hurt. All are juveniles and live in the house with Santos and his wife, whose name was withheld by Goldstein. It is unclear if Duchesne, the woman’s brother, lives there as well.

Goldstein said his department was called to Webster Lake Road at 8:11 p.m. Thursday, adding that one of the couple’s daughters had called 911.

Article continues after...

Yesterday's Most Read Articles

Dunkin sign crashing down in Concord didn’t stop the coffee from flowing
Concord Police investigating death at homeless camp
Free house for grabs – historic home is all yours, if you can move it
A bridge, a park, or both? Residents brainstorm visions for an elevated connection between downtown and the river
Stacy Wakefield dies less than 5 months after her husband, Tim Wakefield
NH doctor works to rebuild online reputation after TikTok spreads false news

“She told the dispatcher that there was a psychological problem, the husband and wife had emotional issues,” Goldstein said. “But we determined it was domestic abuse.”

Duchesne said during the phone call that he would surrender peacefully and wait outside for the cops’ arrival, Goldstein said.

“Very peaceful, no resistance,” Goldstein said. “Then we located Santos and the EMTs got him out of there.”

Police from Tilton, Northfield and the Merrimack County Sheriff’s Office assisted.

“We’re still trying to get their history,” Goldstein said. “Right off the bat, we thought it was domestic violence. It’s what we see every day in this state and this country.”