The Concord Monitor is launching its Environmental Reporting Lab, a long-term effort to better inform the community about the New Hampshire environment. To launch phase 1 of this effort, we need your help. The money raised will go toward hiring a full-time environmental reporter.

Please consider donating to this effort.


Broken Ground teacher on leave of absence following drug arrest

Last modified: 5/2/2013 7:54:15 AM
A fifth-grade teacher at Broken Ground School in Concord was arrested and charged last week with possession of prescription drugs without a prescription, a Class A misdemeanor. The teacher, Peggy Sinclair, was put on leave from the school Monday, Superintendent Chris Rath said.

Sinclair, 49, was in her car with Matthew Peters, 22, at the time of the arrest April 23. Peters was charged with possession of cocaine and possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, the state police said. Peters was driving the car with Sinclair in the passenger seat when he was pulled over for unlawful passing. The two did not consent to a search, and the car was seized. Cocaine and marijuana were found in the car, along with prescription drugs in Sinclair’s purse, the state police said.

The state police obtained a warrant for both Sinclair and Peters, who live at the same address on Highland Street in Concord. Sinclair turned herself in to the Concord police last Thursday, and Peters turned himself in the next day. She was released on $1,500 personal recognizance bail. Broken Ground Principal Susan Lauze will be sending a message to parents about how the school will deal with Sinclair’s leave of absence, Rath said.

Sinclair’s lawyer, Jared Bedrick, said she doesn’t know of any drugs she was carrying without a prescription, and the police have not been clear about what drug the charge relates to.

“She doesn’t even know if she had anything on her,” he said.

Bedrick declined to comment on the nature of Sinclair’s relationship with Peters. Sinclair will be arraigned June 10 at 8 a.m. in Concord’s district court.

Peters has had several run-ins with the Concord Police Department in recent years. In 2010, he pleaded guilty to second-degree assault after breaking a man’s clavicle bone, landing him a sentence of 1½ to five years. He also pleaded guilty to tampering with a witness and falsifying evidence related to the assault, but those sentences were suspended. He was released from prison on parole in August 2011 but was arrested in December of that year for violating his parole conditions, according to court documents.

Between October and November 2011, he was arrested in Vermont, having never asked to leave the state. He admitted to smoking marijuana and taking Suboxone, quit his job without consulting his parole officer and was arrested and charged for stalking the witness he tampered with in the assault case, according to court documents.

Peters was arraigned Monday and is now in Concord’s state prison.

(Kathleen Ronayne can be reached at 369-3309 or kronayne@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @kronayne.)


Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Concord Monitor, recently named the best paper of its size in New England.

Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301


© 2021 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy