Vacation to isolation: Finally, the four quarantined locals scheduled to arrive home Thursday night 

  • Cruise passengers went from the lap of luxury to waiting in a food line while in quarantine on a military base in Georgia.

Monitor columnist
Published: 3/26/2020 4:50:28 PM


If all goes as planned – a major challenge these days in light of the coronavirus – the four remaining locals who were thrust into a quarantine nightmare for a month will touchdown in Boston early Friday morning.

That would end a saga that began when four couples from Concord and the Suncook Valley, all longtime friends who travel together often, were quarantined during their cruise on the Grand Princess. The luxury liner left San Francisco on Feb. 25 and the mandatory quarantine began three days later.

Stranded in San Diego and supposedly home by now are Charlie and Rose Currier of Pembroke and Dave and Judy Lewis of Concord. Charlie fell ill and later tested positive for the coronavirus, which delayed their departure. Already home for 10 days are traveling companions Frank and Deb Keane of Allenstown and Bill and Marcia Krueger of Concord.

“Just a little good news for you to brighten your day,” Dave Lewis wrote in an email Thursday morning from a San Diego air force base. “We found out late last night with news of Rose and Charlie getting let go also and we were able to get them on our flight at 9 (Thursday, west coast time), so our prayers have been answered that we won’t be leaving them behind.”

Just weeks ago, the group of professionals in their 60s and 70s were living the high life on the high seas, eating, drinking, dancing, sightseeing on a four-day stop at Hawaii. The Keanes and Kruegers flew home from Dobbins Air Reserve Base in Marietta, Ga., arriving home 10days ago.

But the Lewises and the Curriers were sent to the west coast after a mix-up that, Frank Keane said, may or may not have led to a delay in their return trip. That decision was made easy later, when Charlie Currier, who’s 79, fell ill and tested positive. Following that, Rose, who’s 78, last her balance and injured herself in a fall. She wasn’t feeling well beyond the spill, but it wasn’t clear at press time if she had tested positive as well.

He and Rose have been staying at a Ramada Inn, separated from the others because of the positive test, when they were not in the hospital for treatment.

“We are overwhelmed with happiness and can’t wait to step into our house for the first time since Feb.18,” Dave Lewis wrote, “and be greeted by our little pup Bruschi.”

Passengers were quarantined on the Grand Princess for a week, in small rooms. Then they were sandwiched onto a bus, nearly every seat taken. They waited there, in close contact, then were sent to military bases for more quarantine measures.

Four were sent to Georgia, four in San Diego. The people who already flew home were quarantined for two weeks upon their return, but living at home sure beat the base out west.

“We are doing great and can’t wait for our quarantine to end, even though there is no place to go,” Frank Keane sent in a recent email. “Maybe we will go visit Marcia and Bill (Krueger). Seriously, 26 days is a long time to be quarantined.”

Concord Monitor Office

1 Monitor Drive
Concord,NH 03301


© 2019 Concord Monitor
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy